Nearby App - Functionality to be able to use polygons & lines

02-13-2024 05:47 AM
Labels (1)
James_Shreeve
New Contributor III

Hi, 

I'm currently in the process of trying to pull together a 'site checker' which will enable the users to select a site and then find data within a certain distance from that. Pretty simple. 

I'm using ExB and the Nearby widget on there allows you to search by line, point or polygon. Perfect. However, this doesn't allow you to export the whole output list with map etc. like the Nearby App does. Also once you add a big number of items into the spatial analysis it really struggles, I'm currently not able to add anymore or actually do anything with the widget without it crashing. 

I'm suggesting that the Nearby App has the functionality to be able to draw lines, points or polygons for use with the search or select an existing feature on the map and undertake the search. It seems bonkers that functionality is on one but not the other...

James

Tags (3)
4 Comments
KellyHutchins

It sounds like the Public Notification application might fit your needs exactly. This is an instant app that allows you to create lists of features that you can export along with the map. Here is an example app: 

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/instant/notification/index.html

You can also take a look at Zone Lookup. That app includes an option allowing you to use draw an area of interest by enabling the "Draw a zone" tool. 

James_Shreeve

Thanks for your response @KellyHutchins, I've looked at those two previously but have since looked again and there is a few reasons why I can't really look to use these apps in this instance. 

Zone Lookup - This only returns features which intersect with the point location, or all features within a polygon area. This won't suit the work-flow we're looking to implement. 

Public Notification - Only allows for one list per layer. We have around 30 layers (potentially more) which need to be assessed when looking at a site, so doing this that many times isn't viable or logical. 

Nearby App offers analysis for a large number of layers, print out results (with grouping) as well as many other configuration options. The only missing thing is that it's only based on a point - if I have a site which is 1km wide and want to find data within 1km of the whole site it makes it really difficult as the point would likely be the middle of the site and, therefore, won't actually analyse any data out of the site boundary (if my search criteria was 1km). The Near Me widget in ExB offers polygon searching but can't export the whole results as a PDF and there are issues with it at the moment with configuring large amounts of layers with the spatial analysis.  

BethRomero

@James_Shreeve Thanks for the additional feedback.  We are looking at enhancing the Nearby Instant App to include your suggestions; buffering a line, polygon or sketch. I will update this comment when it has an expected release timeframe.

James_Shreeve

Hi Beth, thank you for getting back to me and for updating that the Nearby App is looking to implement those enhancements. That's great news, look forward to hearing when they are set for implementation!