Interactive Legend: Improve Layer Search

10-20-2022 09:11 AM
Labels (1)
ZorbaConlen1
Occasional Contributor III

In the Interactive Legend app, one can configure searching on layers within the webmap. After a successful search, the feature is highlighted, zoomed to and a popup displays. The main issue is that it's a generic popup, rather than the popup configured for the webmap. For example, I have configured popups to display like this for my TMP layer:

intLegClickPopup.PNG

The popup shown after a search for a TMP feature, is like this:

intLegSearchPopup.PNG

I'd like the search to show a popup like in the first image. As it stands, users don't see the information they need. In order to see it, they need to do several extra steps, like clicking on the feature and paging through popups. All of which is completely redundant.

Also, note the difference in how the feature is highlighted. The search result highlight symbol is different. It's too subtle and should be the same as how features are highlighted after clicking on it.

I believe what I have described above should be the default behavior. If not, at least allow app authors to configure it this way. 

Not sure how it works with other instant apps, but if they work similar to interactive legend, they should also be changed as indicated.

Thanks

Tags (2)
5 Comments
MTarvid

Instant Apps is a great app builder and the Interactive Legend is one of the best templates.  Popups are an integral part of viewing data on a web map. Unfortunately, the default Popup is completely inadequate.  And for non-GIS users the fewer steps to get to the data and its attributes the better. 

Also please consider changing the highlight symbol for the search result as mentioned in ZorbaConlen1's suggestion listed above.  It's also very important for non-GIS users.  Thank you!

BethRomero

@ZorbaConlen1 Are you able to share your app? I cannot replicate the issue where only the partial pop-up shows, and the feature is not selected with the cyan color.   If you're unable to share, could you see if the word "instant" is in the URL path of your app?

@MTarvid, we are implementing a new option in the November update of ArcGIS Online that will allow the selection color to be modified in most instant apps (Interactive Legend will have this new feature). It will be located in Interactivity > Modify. This color change will apply to feature search and opening the pop-up in general. 

ZorbaConlen1

Hi Beth. The app is meant to be internal, but I can share it publicly for a bit. See if you can access it now - https://cobgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/interactivelegend/index.html?appid=5c7f12570d0046dda7714...

Thanks

ZorbaConlen1

Any chance to look at this @BethRomero? Thanks.

BethRomero

@ZorbaConlen1  Thanks for sharing your app.  I haven't been able to reproduce the issue, I see the full pop-up when I do a search.  Please email me and we can continue to investigate bromero@esri.com or contact support.