Add the ability to insert images in the Details section of the SideBar App

06-21-2023 09:39 AM
RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

Please update the editor to have the ability to add images by pasting from the clipboard, in the details tab of Instant Apps.  Currently images added in this way do not show in the final product.

RyanBohan_6-1687365160741.png

Only the text will appear when using the app, the image(s) do not show in the Sidebar Instant App

RyanBohan_7-1687365190469.png

The functionality could be similar to webapp classic About widget

Text and images can quickly be added and updated by simply pasting an image into the editor.

RyanBohan_1-1687364527048.png

Both Text and images show in webapp classic

RyanBohan_2-1687364545642.png

Another example is it could work the same way the Esri community comment section work.  With Text and Images being dropped into the same editor

RyanBohan_8-1687365474786.png

7 Comments
BrittanyBurson

Wish I could Kudo this 100x

SarahMcDonald_Esri

Hello, 

This should be available in Sidebar after the most recent ArcGIS Online update. We are going to look add adding this capability to remaining apps in future releases. 

Thanks!

Sarah

RyanBohan

Hi @SarahMcDonald_Esri,

Thank you for reaching out.  

Testing the ability to paste an image in the Details editor in Sidebar Instant app.  It looks good in the editor.  However the preview shows a broken image link.

RyanBohan_0-1687447159724.png

If I publish the Sidebar Instant app, the text and pasted image appear correctly.

RyanBohan_1-1687447258858.png

Is there a way to get the image to show in the preview as well?

Thank you

SarahMcDonald_Esri

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for trying that again. The broken image in the app preview could be cached, can you try clearing your browser cache then accessing the app again? 

Thanks!

Sarah

RyanBohan

Hi @SarahMcDonald_Esri,

Clearing the cache temporarily works.  

RyanBohan_0-1687465267254.png

However, each time a new image is added and the editor is closed, the browsers cache needs to be cleared for the preview to show the images.

RyanBohan_1-1687465385542.png

SarahMcDonald_Esri

Hi Ryan, 

Thanks, I will look into that. Definitely looks like some odd behavior. Thanks for reporting that. 

-Sarah

DanielHoffman73

Hello all,

I'm running in to this problem as well.  Similar to what Ryan showed in his comments, I'm seeing the images fine in the Editor window, and I tested by adding an image file, or just copy/pasting a screenshot.  However, in the the actual app (both live, and in configure mode), I get the broken image icons.  I've tried clearing the cache, and using different browsers, but the result is the same.

sidebar_error.JPG