Add "copy link only" option to the social sharing option in Instant Apps

11-07-2022 03:54 PM
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

Many (maybe all?) Instant Apps have a social sharing option that can be toggled on. This tool allows users to copy a link to the app or share a link on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. I would love it if the social media choices were optional, and we could opt to add a button that only includes the copy link option.

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1667864458184.png

The "copy link" choice is very useful since it generates a shortened URL that goes straight to the current map extent. I think our internal users would find it very helpful to be able to share a custom link with colleagues to point out certain features or locations. However, I never toggle on the social share option for our internal instant apps because they require a login and may contain sensitive data. Inviting our internal users to share them on social media seems inappropriate at best.

Thank you for considering this idea!

4 Comments
sadaqatali

The first step is to add the social share icon to your app. ... in your share button handler, trigger the share sheet with social options

HollyTorpey_LSA

@sadaqatali Thanks. I know how to add sharing to my app. My suggestion is to make it possible to add only the "copy link" portion of the sharing functionality. I don't want to include the social media sharing options, which are pointless for internal apps that aren't shared publicly.

CameronSmith_esri

@HollyTorpey_LSA - We're considering adding an option to hide the external social media links in the Social Share component. Thanks for posting the idea Holly

HollyTorpey_LSA

Great! I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for the update.