Insights: edit table data from workbook

Jump to solution
10-08-2021 04:54 AM
YechiamWe
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'd like to know if there's an ability to edit the data used in an Insights workbook directly from the workbook itself.

I.e. let's say I have a table of places (names + coordinates), and I'd like to insert a new field "color" and fill it according to some algorithm (e.g. with a .py script)/manually. Is that possible? Doesn't matter to me if it's a new view of the data source or the data source itself.

If there is such a possibility, what is its limitations?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

This can be accomplished manually using Calculate a field.

Will this work for your workflow?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

This can be accomplished manually using Calculate a field.

Will this work for your workflow?

0 Kudos
YechiamWe
New Contributor II

Hi Scott, thanks for replying and sorry for my late response.

This is a very good option if I only want to add a calculated field, but what if I also want to edit a source field? E.g. correct a poorly etl'd data from the workbook itself? And again, I don't mind if it'd change the data source itself, even if it's merely a separate view in my workbook - the point is to be able to edit the table somehow. 

ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Hi YechiamWe,

ArcGIS Insights is not designed to edit existing data. When you create a new field, it's actually stored as part of the Insights project. You can then share/export/publish any newly created data to a new table or service. Hope this answers?

0 Kudos
TonyViveiros2
New Contributor II

Why not include the ability to edit data within Insights? I simply need to add a text field to a small Insights table and populate that new field with the French equivalent names for English values I have in another field. My chart is already created. I just want to update that chart by referencing a new field that includes the categorical French text representing classes. As far as I can tell, my workaround would be to create a new table in ArcGIS Online with that added French field, populate the French text in AGOL, then bring that new table into Insights, recreate relationships then create another chart.....a lot more work.

Tags (2)