Select to view content in your preferred language

Display current date in a workbook page

Jump to solution
10-30-2023 08:23 AM
SaraHedrick1
Regular Contributor

I have a insights page that I embed into a Story Map. The insights page is set up to refresh weekly through a scheduled update. I would like to be able to show the last time that the data was updated in my workbook page. Since the Story Map does not need to be edited, if I have the date there it will only show the last time the story map was updated. 

I have a field called 'Current Date' that I could pull from, but a part from putting that into a reference table I can't figure out how to display that data. I don't believe I can add anything to a text box, and I can't figure out if there is a way to make a date show in a KPI. 

Is there a method for doing this that I'm not considering? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

@SaraHedrick1 

You should find the last updated date on the back of each card. there is a button to flip the card around

AkshayHarshe_0-1698764628476.png

Note that if you have cross filters enabled then the data on the shared report can be part Live and part static. e.g. A bar chart will be live but the card Calculate density might be static. This means every time you reload the browser you will see the updated date on the live dataset but the older date on static ones. 

The scheduled refresh will update the entire analysis so all the datasets will be updated at this time.

If you really want to display the last updated date you can use the hack below:

1. Open the data table on your dataset
  2. Create a new field with the formula `TRIM(NOW())`: this should create a new date column as a string.
  3. Name the column Last updated, Hide the header bar
  4. AkshayHarshe_1-1698765033410.png

5. This will show count expand the column width that the count is not visible
  6. Optionally you can remove the card background to blend the card in with other cards
  7. Go to the report designer make the card even smaller and hide the bottom section with another card as such: AkshayHarshe_2-1698765236140.png

Now this date should only update when the scheduled refresh happens.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Hi @SaraHedrick1,

At this point, I do not believe there is a way to show last-updated date besides via a sleekly styled reference table cell. I could be wrong about this, so the verdict isn't absolute. However, you're correct that our textboxes don't auto-update with data at this time. 

Apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for letting us know you are keen to see this feature in the future. 👍

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
0 Kudos
AkshayHarshe
Esri Contributor

@SaraHedrick1 

You should find the last updated date on the back of each card. there is a button to flip the card around

AkshayHarshe_0-1698764628476.png

Note that if you have cross filters enabled then the data on the shared report can be part Live and part static. e.g. A bar chart will be live but the card Calculate density might be static. This means every time you reload the browser you will see the updated date on the live dataset but the older date on static ones. 

The scheduled refresh will update the entire analysis so all the datasets will be updated at this time.

If you really want to display the last updated date you can use the hack below:

1. Open the data table on your dataset
  2. Create a new field with the formula `TRIM(NOW())`: this should create a new date column as a string.
  3. Name the column Last updated, Hide the header bar
  4. AkshayHarshe_1-1698765033410.png

5. This will show count expand the column width that the count is not visible
  6. Optionally you can remove the card background to blend the card in with other cards
  7. Go to the report designer make the card even smaller and hide the bottom section with another card as such: AkshayHarshe_2-1698765236140.png

Now this date should only update when the scheduled refresh happens.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Akshay Harshe
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Brilliant overview/solution, @AkshayHarshe!
I hope this helps, @SaraHedrick1. Thanks again for using Esri Community!  

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics