Calculated Field Based On Selection on the map in Insights

Jump to solution
01-08-2020 04:25 PM
YuliaMamonova
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have a table card in Insights (from polygons layer) that I am filtering with selection on the map. I want to have a calculated field that would give me the percentage/area/proportion of selected area. Let's say with selection tool I only select 35% of 1 polygon and 49% of another polygon and other polygons were not selected at all. So I would like these percentages to be displayed in the table.

Do you have any ideas?

Thank you!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindaBeale
Esri Contributor

HI Yulia,

The calculations you do will work on the entire dataset not just the selections, however, there a number of ways to get to your answer.  You need to pull out a result dataset based on the selection you want.  You can do that spatially or through an attribute filter. 

First, if you drag the selected features to a new map > you now have a dataset based on you selection.

Now, go to the data pane and use the new result dataset you just created (based on your selection).

Open the data table from the "..." off the new dataset name and do your calculation.

Now you can place your new resulst in whatever card type you card - a summary table, graph or map.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Hi Yulia,

It sounds like you may have two polygon datasets, is that correct?  Have you tried doing a spatial aggregation between the two, and then summarizing the output?  Spatial Aggregation—Insights analyze | Documentation 

0 Kudos
YuliaMamonova
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Scott,

I need to be able to USE A SELECTION TOOL on the map, with which I can select a random area, and I need  % of selected area (selected area to the whole polygons layer) to be displayed.

Imagine you have a layer with 3 polygons, you use lasso tool to select an area which happened to include 30% of 1 polygon, 25% of the second polygon and 0% of the third polygon I NEED THOSE PERCENTAGES.

Thanks,

Yulia

0 Kudos
LindaBeale
Esri Contributor

HI Yulia,

The calculations you do will work on the entire dataset not just the selections, however, there a number of ways to get to your answer.  You need to pull out a result dataset based on the selection you want.  You can do that spatially or through an attribute filter. 

First, if you drag the selected features to a new map > you now have a dataset based on you selection.

Now, go to the data pane and use the new result dataset you just created (based on your selection).

Open the data table from the "..." off the new dataset name and do your calculation.

Now you can place your new resulst in whatever card type you card - a summary table, graph or map.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos