Select to view content in your preferred language

Create donut charts/tree maps from data in a different arrangement

05-04-2023 12:48 AM
Labels (2)
Rob_Hughes_32Alpha
Regular Contributor

I want more flexibility when it comes to creating charts that show proportional representation. Much of the data from the UK Census for example gives each category as an individual field which Insights does not know how to handle. If I were to transform the data to a format that Insights would understand (a row/entry for each individual record) then this would make my dataset absolutely enormous.

To illustrate what I mean a bit better I've attached a picture. The UK Census 2021 has data on population split down by 5 year age bands. I want to show that in a donut chart or tree map so that the user can easily see the distribution of ages within the population, and use the chart to filter to see where the most populous areas are for an age range that they are interested in. In the attached picture you will see the way that the data is set out. Insights would require one field with a string entry stating the age band each individual falls within to create a donut chart/treemap. This would mean that the data table would have to have the same amount of rows as the population of England and Wales, and then multiply that by X if you want to put additional proportional charts in the same dataset. I think that if Insights were configured to accept data like in the picture below as well it would open up a huge amount of new analytical possibilities.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 084440.png

2 Comments
Ian_Muehlenhaus

Dear @Rob_Hughes_32Alpha,

Thank you for your detailed idea / request! The example makes a lot of sense to me, and it's these kind of community posts that really help our dev team stay motivated and improve ArcGIS Insights. 

This spring we spent time exploring the addition of pivot tables or a similar feature to Insights that would likely help accommodate, or at least partially solve, your request. 

I'm not certain what will happen, but your comment gives us further evidence that Esri users enjoy what Insights does and would love to see further enhancements in the future. So thank you. It means a lot to all of us.

Thank you for using ArcGIS Insights. Thank you for using the Community Portal to reach out to us. And I hope we can offer you a solution to this issue in the future!

Best,

Ian

Rob_Hughes_32Alpha

Thanks Ian, pivot tables might enable this, yeah. If you've used Power BI or Tableau before though you'll know that this is handled automatically with the software figuring it out in the background. Ideally that's the sort of thing that I would be hoping to see.

Cheers,

Rob