Access ArcGIS Online content from Insights desktop

04-03-2023 01:49 PM
Rob_Hughes_32Alpha
Occasional Contributor

Self explanatory - I want to access content I've hosted/created on Insights Online through Insights Desktop and vice-versa so that I can work online/offline on the same workbooks

10 Comments
Ian_Muehlenhaus

Hi @Rob_Hughes_32Alpha ,

Not entirely sure this is what you're looking for, but if you create a connection to your AGOL account, you can add your AGOL datasets, etc., into Desktop. 👍  Simply go to the Insights Desktop home page, CONNECTIONS, and add your AGOL account. 

However, I don't think the connection/sharing is quite as robust as you're suggesting, so we'll post this to the ideas board for sure. 

Many thanks!

Ian 

Rob_Hughes_32Alpha

Thanks for your reply. In my mind it should work a bit like M365, where AGOL is playing the role of SharePoint and Insights can open up workbooks directly from there. At the moment I don't use the desktop deployment version at all for this reason, but I want to as I prefer working on a proper app rather than within a browser.

Ian_Muehlenhaus

Hi @Rob_Hughes_32Alpha,

I totally hear you. That would be awesome! I'll post this to the board, as it's a great idea.

Not sure if the reason this doesn't exist is an ArcGIS Online thing preventing implementation, something on the Insights back-end, or if simply no one asked for this feature yet. If it's due to either of the latter two, we can at least take a look! 🙂

Thanks again for using the Community board and for choosing ArcGIS Insights. 

Ian

PaulCone2

I think what @Rob_Hughes_32Alpha is saying is it would be nice to have the same view of your items in Desktop and AGOL or Enterprise, depending on where you're logged in.  That's what I want.

Paul

Ian_Muehlenhaus

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for helping vote this idea up. 🙂

We'll look into it. Hope all is well and thanks for contributing to the community!

Ian

Rob_Hughes_32Alpha

@PaulCone2 exactly. Just like on Office 365 how I can switch between the online and desktop versions of word or PowerPoint at will, I'd like to be able to switch between insights online and desktop. I would then use desktop as my primary, whereas at the moment I struggle to understand the use case for the desktop version.

Ian_Muehlenhaus

I get it now. That's a great idea.

Just to clarify desktop's role (as I understand it):

It's about speed and power. Desktop is much faster than online and almost always faster than enterprise depending on one's configuration.

But your point is not lost on me at all. This request makes complete sense. Hopefully we have the bandwidth to tackle it in the near future.

Thanks, again, @Rob_Hughes_32Alpha

AndreasHall

The major use cases for Insights Desktop, in addition to using CPU processing power, is the ability to work offline, to connect to Enterprise databases (which is not possible in ArcGIS Online) and to use scripting with Python or R.

Insights Desktop Deployment | ArcGIS Insights (esri.com)

Ian_Muehlenhaus

@AndreasHall Thank you for mentioning these other benefits and providing the link.  

I forgot to mention the other benefits, because I think I simply take them for granted at this point. 🙃

I often use #InsightsDesktop to work offline while flying or riding -- never driving, however. 😉 

AkshayHarshe

Hi @Rob_Hughes_32Alpha @PaulCone2 , 

Just want to add to what @Ian_Muehlenhaus was saying. You can create a workbook on the ArcGIS Insights desktop, go to the home page and share it with your primary organization. This works like a one-way sync rather than like M365. Meaning, that you can publish your changes in the desktop app and replace your workbook copy in your primary ArcGIS Enterprise/Online connection.

The idea here is to utilize Insights Desktop as an offline workstation with all your CPU power and share the outcome rather than a synced workbook. Having a sync option is rather difficult as you may or may not have the same data/connections available in the connected organisations. Especially if you are connecting to databases on your desktop and sharing the workbook with your ArcGIS Online (where database connections are not available).  

Check Share a Workbook for more info and see if this gives you something that you were looking for.

Thanks,

Akshay