Select to view content in your preferred language

Symbology in Indoors space planner App.

12-19-2023 02:57 AM
AbhyanshuGupta
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a created a space planner application. Now i want to indicate rooms which are occupied and unoccupied differently. I have tried through updating the symbology on the basis of 'KNOWN_AS' column whenever its null to show yellow and whenever its not null to show red. This process does work but when we change the allocation for a room for example assign a person to a room, the color of the room doesn't change it stays yellow only whereas it should turn red. I also did try using the vary symbology by attribute but that also didn't work. How can I achieve this working?

If this is not possible then is there a way, I can put an icon on the occupied or the unoccupied units to uniquely identify them? If yes, then how can I achieve this?

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KadeSmith
Occasional Contributor

On your units feature layer, use the Assignment_Type field for your symbology. Then set your symbology as None=Yellow, Office=Red, Hot Desk=Red, Hotel=Red or whatever colors you want to use. 

It's important to do it on the feature layer because if you don't, the colors won't change until you refresh your viewer.

After setting it up, you'll end up with something like this where orange in my case means none:

KadeSmith_1-1702999661665.png

0 Kudos
AbhyanshuGupta
New Contributor III

Thanks @KadeSmith for the response. Just wanted to check the solution you have provided will work for the use case like if a unit has a person assigned then its color lets say is red and if no person is assigned then the color is green? If yes in my case ASSIGNMENT_TYPE field is null (i haven’t configured it) so am i suppose to configure it? If we need do then how can i assign the assignment type for all the units?

0 Kudos
KadeSmith
Occasional Contributor

Yes, that is how my solution is working. 

It is my understanding that the ASSIGNMENT_TYPE field is required to use the Space Planner app. The app will update the field value to "office" after someone is assigned to the room. If you have a bunch of null values in that field, you could use the field calculator to set them all to none (that's the default). If you set them to not assignable, you won't be able to assign individuals to that room (ie. bathroom). 

See the Units schema with valid values for Assignment_Type here:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/indoors/arcgis-indoors-information-model.htm#ESRI...

0 Kudos
AbhyanshuGupta
New Contributor III

Thanks @KadeSmith  for your response, you solution has resolved my issue. I have one more query now, that instead of using the symbology set to ASSIGNMENT_TYPE I can keep it to USE_TYPE only so that i can distinguish between the various unit types through different colored symbols and in a way, I can distinguish units which are occupied and unoccupied like for example putting a cross icon on occupied units or something similar.

0 Kudos
KadeSmith
Occasional Contributor

I symbolize by USE_TYPE on the Units in the underlying map image layer and then by Assignment_Type in the overlaying feature class layer. This results in my Units layer being in the Web Map twice. 

KadeSmith_0-1703097139444.png

0 Kudos
GauravJobanputra
Esri Contributor

@KadeSmith thanks a lot for the responses.

@AbhyanshuGupta I'm hoping the responses above helped. I noticed you mentioned 'in my case ASSIGNMENT_TYPE field is null'. I'm not sure how you loaded/populated your indoor database but that field has coded domain values and the value should be set to None by default for all rooms you want to manage in Space Planner for example office units, work pods etc.. and all other rooms should be set to Not Assignable for example, Kitchens, Restrooms etc..

You can then set the symbology of the Units layer based on ASSIGNMENT_TYPE field such that None, Office, Hotel, Hot Desk, Not Assignable have unique colors. The Indoors Product Data includes a map template for this to help you get started. Now when you make a room an office, its color will change from the one set for None to the one set for Office. Same goes with other assignment types. This would give you a comprehensive view of the space utilization across your floors in all your buildings.

0 Kudos
AbhyanshuGupta
New Contributor III

Thanks @GauravJobanputra for your response, I did try and it has resolved my issue. I have one more query now, that instead of using the symbology set to ASSIGNMENT_TYPE I can keep it to USE_TYPE only so that i can distinguish between the various unit types through different colored symbols and in a way, I can distinguish units which are occupied and unoccupied like for example putting a cross icon on occupied units or something similar.

0 Kudos