Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS does not display Image server layer

08-23-2015 12:55 AM
nabaz-gharib
Occasional Contributor

I am using ArcGIS 10.1 with service pack 1, and we have Image server 9.3.1, which includes 2 image services.

Before, when I added an image service to Arcmap  the image layer displayed without any problem, but since the last week when I add an image from the image server the Arcmap does not display the layer and the image layer name does not appear in the table of content.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulDavidson1
Regular Contributor

First thing I would go is reboot the server & the desktop. I imagine you've done that. I also assume you've already Googled & searched Geo Net for this issue?

I have seen this issue occur but rarely. It's always been fixed with a reboot of my desktop. But I do a lot of development work so it's not uncommon to corrupt my OS.

Is this flyover Orthoimagery or something else?

What are your OSs?

Have you checked resource usage?

Next, is this a Server or Arcmap issue? I'd bet Server but I'd verify that Arcmap behaves the same on other desktops.

Is it all images or just some. Some might mean data corruption on the drive. Scan the drive for errors & replace the images that don't show.

( If all images are not displaying, I'd still scan the drive & try replacing one of them & testing it. But I'd probably do the next step first. This is more of a shot in the dark, cover all bases.)

Next, write down everything that has changed on the server (or desktop.)

Start trying to roll back changes.

Look for Windows updates that might affect video, memory, etc

I think SP1 was the last update for 10.1 but I'd still look for updates.

If still hunting, call tech support. I'd do this before I start rolling back changes.

Consider re-installing Server?

Good luck

0 Kudos
nabaz-gharib
Occasional Contributor

Dear Paul,

thanks for your replay.

I did restart the server and my pcs several times.

I don think there is a problem with the server, because we have Arcgis 9.3 installed on the other PCs that displays Image server layer without any problem.

I think reinstalling the image server is useless.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Regular Contributor

What version is the desktop that is not displaying the imagery?

Typically, Server likes to work (sometimes only will work) with like versions.

With Server 10.1, Image server is now an extension, not a separate package like it was in 9.3

Take a look at this link...

ArcGIS Desktop

But two things:

1. not sure where this will leave your users still on 9.3.1 desktop (time to upgrade?)

2. You mentioned this has worked in ArcMap, so what has changed on your desktop that would make this no longer work?  Did you upgrade ArcMap, install anything else, etc....

If you have a Windows restore point from back when it worked, you could try going to that?

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
nabaz-gharib
Occasional Contributor

I used arcgis 10.1, which does not display the image server layer, before I did not have any problem, but after a awhile the issues appeared.

I agree with you, I think one of the windows update has caused the issue. I will try to restore or check update history to check for the cause.

0 Kudos