Create Hosted Layer hogging network

Jump to solution
04-26-2023 07:15 AM
Labels (1)
mapmcburney
New Contributor III

I have a very large mosaic dataset that I am uploading to AGOL. I have been successful in uploading it before and have no issue in that regard. It does take time, an hour or more but that is OK. 

My issue and question is if it is possible to configure the uploading parameters so that is doesn't hog all the network bandwidth? As it uploads it will consume 96-100% of the available network. As you can imagine, this slows down everything else preventing me from doing other work while I wait for the upload to complete.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

The documentation is in the works and I apologize for the inconvenience. It sounds like you have a solid workflow to create a time series imagery layer for the 10 years. Are you putting all of the sites in together in the same mosaic dataset?  So the non contiguous imagery sets are all included?  My recommendation, if  possible, would be to put all of the 'same' areas together arranged in one mosaic dataset and then publish that. If necessary, then you can actually create a 'full' imagery layer comprised of individual tiled imagery layers. 

JeffreySwain_0-1682519925205.png

So you will have a tiled imagery layer per 'site' and then can put them together. That may improve the overall experience with uploading and creation. Given the size of what you are creating now, I would recommend creating it off hours as it can take a while. When the uploading is done, then the process should be handled by ArcGIS Online. 

In terms of moving forward, please contact me directly. I would love to hear about your workflow and how we can support it. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey @mapmcburney ,

So it looks like you are creating an imagery layer through the Create Hosted Imagery Layer wizard. It also appears to be over 79 Gigs of imagery that is being used to create the imagery layer. Is that correct?  I am curious about the size of the prior imagery layers you have created. Also can you indicate if you are creating a dynamic imagery layer (image collection) or a tiled imagery layer and what type of input imagery you are using? (tif, jpg, img, etc)

0 Kudos
mapmcburney
New Contributor III

Hello,

We are experimenting with ArcGIS Image for AGOL so we are trying a few different use cases to see how they fit. The documentation\best practices for ArcGIS Image for AGOL isn't easy to come by so we are using trial and error.

I have been trying both dynamic and hosted on this collection - both hog the network resources on upload. It's a collection of Pleiades-1 imagery collected at multiple sites over a 10 year period. 244 (overlappling) images in total. The total size of the source imagery is 80 GB and they are TIF but using the Pleiades-1 delivery model

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

The documentation is in the works and I apologize for the inconvenience. It sounds like you have a solid workflow to create a time series imagery layer for the 10 years. Are you putting all of the sites in together in the same mosaic dataset?  So the non contiguous imagery sets are all included?  My recommendation, if  possible, would be to put all of the 'same' areas together arranged in one mosaic dataset and then publish that. If necessary, then you can actually create a 'full' imagery layer comprised of individual tiled imagery layers. 

JeffreySwain_0-1682519925205.png

So you will have a tiled imagery layer per 'site' and then can put them together. That may improve the overall experience with uploading and creation. Given the size of what you are creating now, I would recommend creating it off hours as it can take a while. When the uploading is done, then the process should be handled by ArcGIS Online. 

In terms of moving forward, please contact me directly. I would love to hear about your workflow and how we can support it. 

0 Kudos