Digital Terrain Model (DTM) Unexpected Error

Jump to solution
01-18-2022 03:35 PM
Labels (1)
JosephWeirich
New Contributor

Greetings,

I am attempting to generate some digital elevation products from some drone imagery that I collected. I am using this workflow from ArcGIS.com. I have made it as far as adding GCPs to my Ortho mapping workspace. When I run the DEM wizard and select DTM, the tool starts and completes phase 1 (generating point cloud) without a problem. Phase 2 however always fails after about 30 minutes and generates a generic 999999 error code. There are very few clues as to whats causing the error, except for some text that says "Failed to execute command. [FuseDSM.exe]". The full error code can be found in the attachment.

Ive attempted this with two different datasets and receive the same error when generating DTMs. Interestingly, I was able to generate a digital surface model of the first dateset, but not the second.

I am at a loss... and there is such little info in the error code that I don't know where to even begin. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joseph.  I'll ask our support team about what might cause this error but could you let us see an example of the imagery?  Specifically, 

• do you have ~70% overlap everywhere?
  • is there tall vegetation and/or a lot of water in your imagery?

thanks

Cody B

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joseph.  I'll ask our support team about what might cause this error but could you let us see an example of the imagery?  Specifically, 

• do you have ~70% overlap everywhere?
  • is there tall vegetation and/or a lot of water in your imagery?

thanks

Cody B

0 Kudos
JosephWeirich
New Contributor

Hi Cody,

Thanks for replying but I have solved the issue. It turned out it was a lack of hard drive space. I cleaned up about 30 Gb and was able to complete a DTM and ortho imagery. I didnt realize these work spaces were taking up so much hard drive space. 3 projects are taking up almost 40 Gb in my HD. Im going change the default directory to a larger drive on my network. Should resolve the issue. - joe

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Joseph - good, thanks for the follow up.  I'm glad you're up and running.  Yes, some processes can consume a lot of disk space - but note if you're accessing a network drive you will likely find slower performance - so if possible you might consider allocating a temporary location for your OMWorkspaces (ideally a fast solid state drive) and then cleaning it up regularly...  

Cody B. 

0 Kudos