Select to view content in your preferred language

Video/Animation Autoplay Loop

07-28-2023 07:38 AM
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Currently on Hub, when you embed a video from YouTube, it plays in a loop only after you click play.

But I want it to be able to autoplay the video without showing the play button as soon (so the play button and other video controls won't even appear) as the user lands on the website, as the video will be embedded directly below the `header`.

I found a solution on StoryMaps, and I am wondering if something is similar is possible in Hub. I tried embedding  the iframe code, but it seems like Hub only supports a https link and not an iframe code itself.

Enable autoplay on a video link in ArcGIS StoryMaps

SaadullahBaloch_0-1690555088508.png

Question | Analyze | Visualize
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Regular Contributor

We do not support moving backgrounds in Hub as it goes against WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines). All moving content that lasts longer than five seconds requires controls to pause, stop, or hide the content and we do not have those types of controls for background images.

https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/time-limits-pause.html

In addition, automatically moving content can be detrimental for those with vestibular disorders, which is why we don't even support auto-playing videos embedded through our video card.

Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Happy Friday @KlaraSchmitt and thank you for the quick response. Okay so let's say the video is no more than 5 seconds, then can we embed it and let it play in a loop without showing the controls?

It's similar to how we have GIFs in websites.

0 Kudos
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Regular Contributor

No. If you have it autoplay, it's longer than 5 seconds. Gifs also technically require play / pause / hide controls when autoplaying or lasting longer than 5 seconds, which is why you don't see them frequency used in Hub either.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

If autoplaying and looping a video is not possible in Hub, then is it possible to upload a GIF instead?

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Good morning @KlaraSchmitt hope all is well; can you please tell me how the animation was embedded in the following Hub Site?

Alex, Gilbert, AZ, DataHub

SaadullahBaloch_0-1690806800992.png

0 Kudos
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Regular Contributor

That is not an ArcGIS Hub Site. It's a WordPress site. It simply has the word 'hub' in its name. Based on their code, it looks like they are using an auto-play video embed, which as I have previously explained, we do not support. If you wish to see how a site is operating or want to compare it to your own, you can right-click the webpage and then select Inspect to open up the source code for HTML and CSS.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

I do see that it's a video that has been embedded in the HTML code of the site.

SaadullahBaloch_0-1690812982233.png

0 Kudos