Unable to Export Data from Embedded Application in ArcGIS Hub

04-26-2021 12:25 PM
LaToshaThompson
New Contributor II

Our organization has created an ArcGIS Dashboard containing embedded web applications created with ArcGIS Web AppBuilder. We are currently using ArcGIS Hub to provide our stakeholders a centralized location to access this dashboard and several other applications.  The embedded web applications and all their associated web maps and layers have Export Data enabled through ArcGIS Online, and the Screening, Select, and Attribute Table widgets within the applications are set to allow users to export data to various formats.

Until recently, users could easily select and export data from the embedded applications within our dashboard without issue as long as they had logged into the Hub with the correct credentials. Now, however, nothing happens when some users try to export data when interacting with the application through the Hub. Data export works as expected when the user accesses the application outside of ArcGIS Hub, however.  Are there any known instances of ArcGIS Hub “blocking” data export from embedded applications in this manner?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SydneyBohn
Esri Contributor

Hi @LaToshaThompson

Are you able to export data from those applications when accessing the dashboard outside of the Hub site? I was able to reproduce a similar issue to what you're describing, but in my situation, the export issue originates in the dashboard itself before I even add it to my site. I was, however, able to export and download from the web apps if I embedded those directly into my Hub site using the Application card instead of embedding them into the dashboard first. 

Are you able to get a case logged with Esri Support so we can investigate this further? It sounds like this might potentially be a bug in ArcGIS Dashboards if you're seeing similar behavior. Support can help verify the issue and (if needed) get a formal defect logged for the issue that you would then be able to track.

Cheers!
- Sydney

0 Kudos
LaToshaThompson
New Contributor II

Hi @SydneyBohn ! Thank you for the quick response! I can confirm that the applications work as expected when used outside of the dashboard, so I do believe you're correct in thinking that it might be a Dashboards bug. I've filed a Support Ticket with Esri and will pass on your workaround to our Hub team to try out. Thanks again for your help with this! 

najeebhall
New Contributor III

@SydneyBohn Is there any update on this?  I am having the exact same issue, infact My organization has portal 10.6 and 10.9 and it works on 10.6 but not on 10.9 operations dashboard.

CherieKeller
New Contributor II

Years later, and I am having the same problem.  I set up an application with a query where users can export data.  But it doesn't work when embedded in the dashboard.  I have several dashboards and maps that I want to stack in a dashboard so that the tools are grouped.  I hate to have to open the app separately!

LaToshaThompson
New Contributor II

The original workaround that was given to us in response to the ticket was to use a Dashboards Classic link. Now that Classic is retired, this no longer works. If it fits your users needs, however, you can enable download of some data through indicators or other specific elements in the new Dashboards.  See this article: Download data—ArcGIS Dashboards | Documentation. I hope this helps somewhat!

0 Kudos
CherieKeller
New Contributor II
Hi – Thanks for giving me the heads up – I hadn’t seen that potential for downloading data. Interestingly, I had been having some trouble embedding my web app in experience builder – must have been something contextual. I tried again this morning and it worked like a charm. And the download from the query works fine from it, as long as I don’t embed in a dashboard first.

Thanks so much!
0 Kudos
najeebhall
New Contributor III

Thanks @LaToshaThompson  for taking the time to respond, I see this is an Arcgis online article and it does work there but the download data option is not there on my Arcgis Enterprise 10.9.1 Operations Dashboard which is where I would need it