Shapefile Download Attribute Table Error ("Could not load data from the data source")

Jump to solution
05-07-2020 05:26 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have a layer in our Open Data site that just got updated. When the layer is downloaded as a shapefile, the attribute table is empty and users get an error when trying to open it: "Could not load data from the data source". The polygons seem to display fine and when the identify tool is used, the attributes are displayed (despite there being no information in the attribute table). 

I have reset the index as well as unshared/re-shared the item, but the issue is persisting. This is a Living Atlas layer so we really need to get the shapefile download functional again. 

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hello Mary Grace McClellan‌ and Andrew Lundgren‌,

Yes, we have put in a fix for this and will be monitoring for existing issues. Please reach out here if you're still having issues next week.

Thank you,

Thomas Hervey

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AndrewLundgren1
New Contributor

We are seeing this behavior in our downloads as well. We currently have a ticket opened with Esri, and they are troubleshooting it. It sounds like it might be related to a recent Hub update.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. We also ended up reaching out directly to Esri. They are saying it's a bug that they're tracking. 

0 Kudos
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hello Mary Grace McClellan‌ and Andrew Lundgren‌,

Yes, we have put in a fix for this and will be monitoring for existing issues. Please reach out here if you're still having issues next week.

Thank you,

Thomas Hervey

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, Thomas! It looks like it's working on our end now. I will keep you posted if I notice the issue again. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thomas Hervey‌ it seems that the metadata file (.xml) is still not being downloaded along with the shapefile. Is this a separate issue? 

Thanks,

Mary Grace

0 Kudos
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Mary Grace McClellan‌ this is separate. Our download system hasn't supported .xml metadata files. Can you email me at thervey@esri.com with an example where you would expect there to be one?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thomas Hervey‌ Thank you for your response. I will send you the screenshot of the shapefile download with the metadata included.

Additionally, I'm not quite sure what you mean about not supporting .xml metadata files. According to Metadata—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation, "For example, if your organization has enabled Open Data, metadata documents managed from ArcGIS Online are available in ArcGIS Hub sites from dataset pages and the documents are included in shapefile downloads.

ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Mary Grace McClellan you were correct. We had an issue where metadata files were not being picked up by our download system. There is a fix out. Please let me know if you still have issues.

0 Kudos