Search not finding datasets

Jump to solution
12-18-2018 09:16 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Over the past couple days I've noticed my Hub (open data) site is not finding some content. 

For example, we have an Item for public swimming pools that comes from an external ArcGIS Server. The arcgis.com item was updated in the summer.

No amount of "swim, pool, public" will find the item. Although in the search text which auto populates, the terms matching this item are presented.

Even stranger - we have some hard coded links to the pools item, and they return a hub 404 error when clicked.

If I go and touch the item in arcgis.com (edit a field and push save)...it instantly becomes searchable in the hub site again.

I've tried refreshing the cache in the admin and we have the new beta search API turned on.

Any reason this might be happening?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
bfindlay
New Contributor III

Hello,

Similar to Kevin and Stefanie, we have also been noticing our searchable items in Hub (open data) seem not to be indexing correctly, or the index keeps overwriting. This is exactly the same problem Kevin detailed above when he said:

"If I go and touch the item in arcgis.com (edit a field and push save)...it instantly becomes searchable in the hub site again." 

We have the same situation here. If I go in and modify the item (e.g. un-share and re-share OR remove the tag and add the tag back) the item get's re-indexed and becomes available via the search but until I do this users cannot find these items shared with our open data group and tagged appropriately. This only seems to happen on some of our items. So for example if a user searches for Wastewater layers they may get 10 results, when really they should have like 18 results. 

https://data-roseville.opendata.arcgis.com/search?tags=wastewater 

So while Wastewater Main come up in the search:https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b0985cd06bfe45a6877f68a7bf294ec6 others like Wastewater Abandoned Point do not come up: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=562d208c28334f24ae50b840b1d2a51c 

The other ids for our wastewater layers that need re-indexing include:

Wastewater Manhole: 8ebdf9221cb442d391a4f0fce53b8810
Wastewater service line: 4a7466c870a841469c555e349dbbcaeb
Wastewater Private Main: 8a3f094f2ccb41ac8d49548eca9e9c35
Wastewater System Valve:71abc616f5c64c6083eb870ec11bfeb4
Wastewater Basin: 6fa923b0f79f47d98ef56c05aad521bd
Wastewater Cleanout: 9fc52206745742739e307e33150d4206

All items are shared publicly and tagged the same, and I can find absolutely no differences between the details of items that come back in the search vs. those that don't. Even if I go in and make the changes so they all show up in the search, I know they will disappear again as I have done this a few times in the last year or so it is kind of frustrating. 

Any advice on how we can correct this problem would be most appreciated. 

Thanks,

Brad Findlay

0 Kudos
StefanieWenker
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brad,

I was eventually able to figure out a fix for the issue on our end. I was sharing the items using my Admin Account, but my account wasn't actually a member of the open data groups. I figured as an Admin I could just share items as I wanted... but that turned out not to be the case. Once I made myself a member and shared items, they did become available. 

Not sure if it will fix your issue, but may be worth looking to see if the account you are using is a member of the open data groups.

0 Kudos
bfindlay
New Contributor III

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the issue we are experiencing. Our City account owns and is the only member of our Open Data group and that is also the account that owns the items. 

0 Kudos