Open Data - Thumbnail issues

Jump to solution
08-20-2014 06:19 AM
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

I have setup an OpenData site (currently private).

Issue 1 - Home Page - Latest Data thumbnails are too small

When comparing my site to the Detroit site, my Latest Data widget (Data List with max 3 items) the thumbs are a lot smaller and contain lengthy descriptions.  It looks like the Detroit site does not have descriptions on its items (which I need to have).

Is there any way to just show the thumbnails, title and perhaps author/last modified?

2.jpg

Issue 2 - Searching for a Dataset - Return Group Thumbnail

When I search for a dataset, it has the Group thumbnail as opposed to the actual items thumbnail.

Anyway to make this the item thumbnail?

searchingForData.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewTurner
Esri Contributor

Issue 1 - Detroit are using the text widget to create the custom 3 block layout. That is how they chose their specific size. You are using the default Data Widget which has a fixed size. If you want the larger size you can create the custom widget and maintain the datasets. In the future we can consider a more configurable recent data widget.

Issue 2 - this was by design for a few reasons. Foremost was that we want to convey the source and authoritativeness of the dataset. This is one of the more important metrics for end-users in choosing a dataset, that they know & trust where it came from. Second the thumbnails are often not very indicative of the dataset itself and very often are replaced with some graphic that has nothing to do with the dataset at all. We wanted to focus the user on the data and the metadata. We have an update coming to search results that may allow for seeing the dataset map preview.

Thanks for the feedback - it's always very welcome. Let me know if you disagree with the design decisions above - and thinking from the "end citizen user experience".

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AndrewTurner
Esri Contributor

Issue 1 - Detroit are using the text widget to create the custom 3 block layout. That is how they chose their specific size. You are using the default Data Widget which has a fixed size. If you want the larger size you can create the custom widget and maintain the datasets. In the future we can consider a more configurable recent data widget.

Issue 2 - this was by design for a few reasons. Foremost was that we want to convey the source and authoritativeness of the dataset. This is one of the more important metrics for end-users in choosing a dataset, that they know & trust where it came from. Second the thumbnails are often not very indicative of the dataset itself and very often are replaced with some graphic that has nothing to do with the dataset at all. We wanted to focus the user on the data and the metadata. We have an update coming to search results that may allow for seeing the dataset map preview.

Thanks for the feedback - it's always very welcome. Let me know if you disagree with the design decisions above - and thinking from the "end citizen user experience".