Open Data Support for File Geodatabase

03-03-2015 08:02 AM
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi-

What are the plans for file geodatabase support through an Open Data site?  I notice several threads regarding domain descriptions not being honored and was wondering if that is a shapefile limitation.

Thanks

David

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanielFenton1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi David,

At this time we do not currently have plans to support downloads of file geodatabases. We have, however, discussed adding support for geopackages as that is an Open format. I'm curious, are you familiar with the geopackage format? Would it suffice to fill the needs that are driving your request for file geodatabase downloads?

0 Kudos
C_EHoward

I am not familiar with geopackages, but it sounds like it may serve the purpose of offering our data with the domains intact. I guess the issue would be, at which version would this geopackage 'package' the data?

I was going to experiment with some download options with layer or map packages for FGDB, either as links from my open data page or somewhere else on AGO. I am trying to make a one stop shop for our customers, but everyone wants something different!

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Daniel, no I am not.  But that's something I will look into if the geopackage can support subtypes, domains and relates.

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Geopackages do, in fact, support domains,

Source: OGC® GeoPackage Encoding Standard

I'm still looking into whether they will support subtypes and relates. Would you be willing to share some file geodatabases that use subtypes and relates?

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Ah, ok.  Sure, I could put something up to dropbox or something?

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Dropbox works great.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

actually why don't i just upload and share a simple data model as a zipped gdb to you from the geonet upload page?

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Works for me.

0 Kudos