Open Data Local Version?

Jump to solution
02-11-2015 09:03 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

I have seen the Open Data ESRI site. You can setup a grouping of Open Data feeds from your ArcGIS Server or upload data to share. However, this option resides outside of my governments website. Outside of the domain name where all of the other mapping information is viewed.

I thought I remembered there being a downloadable app you could install on your server that would allow you to LOCALLY serve up your Open Data feed? Something that piggybacked the AGOL site.

Anyone?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherBoland
Occasional Contributor

I personally haven't tried Portal for ArcGIS Server Extension, but my understanding is that it is basically setting up a whole ArcGIS Online environment on your organization's server, including AGOL homepage, OpenData, Data Sharing, etc.  This is a question for ESRI, but I would hope that you would be able to pick and choose which portions of the Portal software you would actively support on your server environment (i.e. if you only wanted the OpenData capability, then that's all you would need to set up).

Now that being said, if you are still willing to use ESRI's infrastructure, but are mostly concerned with the OpenData Site being outside of your Organization's domain, there is an option the option in the ESRI's OpenData management portal to set up a subdomain, so that it will look like your OpenData site is hosted directly from your organization and its infrastructure...  Directions to set up that option are located here, under the "Custom Domain" heading.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChristopherBoland
Occasional Contributor

Yes, its called Portal for ArcGIS Server Extension.  Product information here:

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe

I was informed that Portal was mainly for FBI and NSA level government entities. Our ESRI reps discouraged us from implementing Portal. It requires things like downloading (manually) the basemap tiles etc from all ESRI-provided services and more.

I thought it would be a good fit for our City Government but after that meeting that idea was nixed. Heck, even I agreed that it appeared to be overkill.

If that's the only way to host a local Open Data site then I am bummed.

0 Kudos
ChristopherBoland
Occasional Contributor

I personally haven't tried Portal for ArcGIS Server Extension, but my understanding is that it is basically setting up a whole ArcGIS Online environment on your organization's server, including AGOL homepage, OpenData, Data Sharing, etc.  This is a question for ESRI, but I would hope that you would be able to pick and choose which portions of the Portal software you would actively support on your server environment (i.e. if you only wanted the OpenData capability, then that's all you would need to set up).

Now that being said, if you are still willing to use ESRI's infrastructure, but are mostly concerned with the OpenData Site being outside of your Organization's domain, there is an option the option in the ESRI's OpenData management portal to set up a subdomain, so that it will look like your OpenData site is hosted directly from your organization and its infrastructure...  Directions to set up that option are located here, under the "Custom Domain" heading.

CourtneyClaessens

Hi Chris and Brian,

ArcGIS Open Data currently does not support Portal integration, and it is not in our roadmap for development any time soon. Many customers have opted for a custom domain name and have integrated their open data page with the rest of their website -- see DC: Home | the DC GIS Open Data Site       or Maryland: Home | the GIS Data Catalog.

AndrewTurner
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian - thanks for bringing this up.

If I read your question correctly, do you need a way to have your own open data site that you host at your domain and integrated with your website?

As Christopher pointed out, ArcGIS Open Data still supports that. For example: opendata.dc.gov and data.imap.maryland.gov are both open data sites they created with ArcGIS Online then chose a custom URL and designed it to integrate with the rest of their sites.