Open Data Downloads Empty Shapefiles

Jump to solution
07-31-2015 10:32 AM
deleted-user-BAik00wdZwPa
New Contributor II

When downloading data from our open data portal (Home | MDOT Open Data - Home) as a shapefile and viewing the results in ArcMap, the datasets are empty (no records) and datasets that are polygons are shown in the table of contents as lines. The preview map on the open data portal shows all of the data as being present and lists the attributes associated with it before downloading. The data layers on our open data portal are referencing an Esri rest point created via ArcGIS Server. The map services work as expected in ArcGIS Online maps and the datasets contain all of the information in our SDE database.

Here are a few of the URLs that produce empty shapefiles:

Empty Point Dataset - Dataset | MDOT Open Data - Home

Empty Line Dataset - Dataset | MDOT Open Data - Home

Empty Polygon Dataset (that shows as lines in the table of contents) - Dataset | MDOT Open Data - Home

Any ideas/assistance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielFenton1
Occasional Contributor III

It looks like there is an issue with the projection you are using for this dataset. As projected downloads is a beta feature, we expect to see issues like this one crop up. I would recommend that you disable projected downloads in your admin capabilities section for this site while we investigate a fix for the underlying issue.

Will that work for you?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanielFenton1

Matthew, sorry to hear you are having issues. I'm looking into this now.

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

It looks like there is an issue with the projection you are using for this dataset. As projected downloads is a beta feature, we expect to see issues like this one crop up. I would recommend that you disable projected downloads in your admin capabilities section for this site while we investigate a fix for the underlying issue.

Will that work for you?

0 Kudos
deleted-user-BAik00wdZwPa
New Contributor II

Daniel, thank-you for your quick response! After disabling the “Local Projections” setting under the “Capabilities” tab on our open data site the datasets download as expected.

I know a lot of people have been pushing to be able to keep their custom projections when uploading/downloading data from ArcGIS Online but I didn’t know Esri had already developed a Beta program for it. Great to hear Esri is building its software enhancements based on emerging user needs.

We currently don’t have any datasets that need to be preserved in their local projections so this workaround will be great until Esri improves upon their Local Projections beta program.

Thanks again Daniel!

0 Kudos
JustinConner
Occasional Contributor II

It appears that local projections are still an issue.

0 Kudos
JustinConner
Occasional Contributor II

Over a year later and it is still an issue!

0 Kudos
JenniferBorlick

I mean, what do we need local projections for anyway? It's not like we want to provide accurate data or anything. ::sarcasm::

EarlMedina
Esri Regular Contributor

I can confirm Justin's comment - as of 5/24/2017 there is still not a complete solution to this issue. The Local Projection capability cannot handle 'NAD_1983_HARN_WISCRS_Columbia_County_Feet' projection (WKID: 103410) and downloads result in an empty dataset. Disabling the Local Projection capability fixes the issue.

DanielFenton1

Hi All, I'm happy to announce that we have completed a significant reengineering of the projected download feature. We have moved it out of beta to standard options. We believe that the following issues are all resolved:

- Empty geometry

- Projection changing to custom from original

- Data shifting

If you are still running into these issues please let us know.

Daniel Fenton

Software Engineer | ArcGIS Hub

0 Kudos