Novice Question: Can I load external 'package' from provide style template for Hub content?

Jump to solution
03-14-2022 03:00 PM
ChrisMalam
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am currently putting together an ArcGIS Hub site to present work program-specific content that includes a mix of written content, images and ArcGIS apps. I have so far been able to achieve everything we need with a mix of the standard drag-and-drop and tweaking of HTML by frankensteining code snippets from various places.

One significant issue that I have encountered, however, is that my workplace has website style guidelines in place, which are packaged up into a product called Single Public Face (SPF) 2.0. There are example code snippets provided (e.g. link) to produce different features; the screenshot below is one example:

ChrisMalam_1-1647293713967.png

However, when I used this code block in ArcGIS Hub, this is what I got (i.e. without the fancy border):

ChrisMalam_2-1647293988440.png

Other examples result in more significant differences, particularly where there are dynamic elements involved, such as accordions. I figure that my issue lies in this line of code, where the "callout" is a specific reference within "uikit" or "spf":

<div class="uikit-callout spf-callout" aria-label="Callout">

To me the solution would be to somehow load this SPF 2.0 product as a package, coming from more of a background in python or R, but as I don't really understand the nuts and bolts of HTML I don't know if this is possible to do in ArcGIS Hub, and if so, how I would go about including this in my code blocks?

As some additional context, the following introduction is taken from the website resource provided by my workplace for SPF 2.0:

ACT Government single public face (SPF) UI Kit 1.0 is an iterative style guide that contains self-contained interface designs and related code. The purpose of the SPF UI Kit 1.0 is to create a consistent style and core functionality across the collective ACT Government online presence. The UI kit itself is structured using atomic design approach and is built in the open sourcePattern Labplatform.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this post - any assistance is much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Hello @ChrisMalam,

While I understand the need to have consistent looking web properties, we do not provide the ability to link to external packages or modify CSS at a global level due to issues in the past where other folks' stylesheets would collide with our own and break our product's layout.

It looks like your component probably does require some CSS to render properly and that the package you're referencing is more like a standalone framework. Our framework for Hub is Bootstrap 3 and Calcite. In order to duplicate the styling attached to .uikit-callout .spf-callout, you'd want to inspect it on the Public Face site and then apply the associated attributes via embedded stylesheet on Hub with a Text Card. Embedded styles go between <style></style> tags.

Looking at the Public Face source code for that callout, these are the styles you'd want to insert between style tags to get a comparably branded callout. (One thing to note, Hub applies font family by whatever is set in Theme > Base Font / Heading Font, so if you're trying to target fonts that do not naturally occur on the end user's laptop, you'll want to set the URL over there.)

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 2.34.49 PM.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Hello @ChrisMalam,

While I understand the need to have consistent looking web properties, we do not provide the ability to link to external packages or modify CSS at a global level due to issues in the past where other folks' stylesheets would collide with our own and break our product's layout.

It looks like your component probably does require some CSS to render properly and that the package you're referencing is more like a standalone framework. Our framework for Hub is Bootstrap 3 and Calcite. In order to duplicate the styling attached to .uikit-callout .spf-callout, you'd want to inspect it on the Public Face site and then apply the associated attributes via embedded stylesheet on Hub with a Text Card. Embedded styles go between <style></style> tags.

Looking at the Public Face source code for that callout, these are the styles you'd want to insert between style tags to get a comparably branded callout. (One thing to note, Hub applies font family by whatever is set in Theme > Base Font / Heading Font, so if you're trying to target fonts that do not naturally occur on the end user's laptop, you'll want to set the URL over there.)

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 2.34.49 PM.png

ChrisMalam
New Contributor II

Thank you for this explanation, Klara.

While I had a sneaking suspicion that the public face was a standalone framework that would not integrate with ArcGIS Hub, this look-alike callout box is brilliant, thank you! Also really good to know about setting the font style under Themes, have been able to select our preferred fonts.

0 Kudos