Issues sharing image service in Open Data

Jump to solution
03-19-2015 09:06 PM
MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to add an image service to our Open Data site after the recent update to open data.

I've added the image service to ArcGIS Online and shared it with the Open Data group. The image service appears in my Data Report in the open data admin but it won't show up in the Open Data site. I'm not sure why this isn't working.

This is the Open Data site Marlborough District Council Open Data

and this is the image service I'm trying to make accessible ImageService

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CourtneyClaessens
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for including the link to your image service - from looking at the json there are no fields: http://maps.marlborough.govt.nz/arcgis/rest/services/ImageServices/Blenheim2012/ImageServer?f=json

Image Services currently need fields to display on Open Data. I'll add a note in the documentation about that.

You can share raster data through an image service, yes.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MalcolmJ

This is the only help I can find in the online documentation Daniel Fenton

Does ArcGIS Open Data support imagery and raster data?

Yes. Imagery and raster data must be registered as Image Services to be added to Open Data. Open Data does not currently support raster layers within a Map Service.

What this doesn't really tell me is how the image service needs to be configured....

I've found a few image services in the ArcGIS Open Data site but they all seem to be mosaic datasets. Is it possible to share raster data through an image service?

0 Kudos
CourtneyClaessens

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for including the link to your image service - from looking at the json there are no fields: http://maps.marlborough.govt.nz/arcgis/rest/services/ImageServices/Blenheim2012/ImageServer?f=json

Image Services currently need fields to display on Open Data. I'll add a note in the documentation about that.

You can share raster data through an image service, yes.

MalcolmJ

Thanks Courtney. I've got it working after I published an image service looking at a mosaic dataset instead of the raster directly.

I see that the imagery doesn't download with any georeferencing information when downloaded as JPEG or PNG. Is this likely to be added later on?

0 Kudos
CourtneyClaessens

We are currently defining what the next iteration of image service and raster support will be and we want to make sure we consider all user requirements. Please let us know if there are other features pertaining to raster that you would like to see!

Thanks.

MalcolmJ

Hi

Just wondering if Open Data is likely to support rasters within a map service in the future, instead of using image services?

It would be easier from my point of view to have a few map services with multiple rasters in them instead of lots of individual image services.

0 Kudos
CourtneyClaessens

Hi Malcolm,

We are unable to support raster layers within map services -- unfortunately we cannot perform the same queries and operations to extract raster data and images on the map services as we can image services.

Courtney

MalcolmJ

Ok, thanks for the quick response.

0 Kudos