HUB Description ...

06-03-2019 03:38 PM
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I noticed that in the hub descriptions are truncated and have ..., however, this is not active and with applications or maps you cannot expand that text  to see what it says.  With data, you can click on the data name and be taken to the page with the full description.  Is there  a way to activate these ... so that they are linked to the detail page?

Thanks!

Sarah

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Hi Sarah,

Sorry for the slow response. In our search results pages, we use the ellipsis to truncate the text coming from the item description because descriptions can often be a couple paragraphs, which is too long to easily scan for most people. We follow a similar design pattern as other search engines in using the ellipsis from a grammar standpoint and not as a "read more" button.

That being said, I think this may have bug that got fixed (or at least I'm having a hard time reproducing it on my site.) I know it's a capability that you can turn on to have apps and maps operate open full-screen under your header and I think the bug was that it got turned on by default. Could you let me know if you're still experiencing this problem?

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Klara

Yes, this is still happening. Others in our organization have experienced it too. Also, we use different browsers.

Thank you

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sarah,

Let me clarify a bit. There is a capability you can configure that loads the interstitial item page with full description. You can find it in the site editor by clicking Settings > Capabilities:

If you turn this capability off for your site, users should be able to see the full description and other metadata before opening the app. Try that out and let us know what you think.

Best,

Patrick

0 Kudos
SarahZaleski1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Patrick, This did not make any changes. Just to make sure we are on the same page, I have circled in red the feature we would like to have activated. Thanks!

Sarah

0 Kudos
KlaraSchmitt
Esri Contributor

Hi Sarah,

By turning off that capability that Patrick mentioned, visitors will have the opportunity to open a result by clicking the title and viewing the full description on the item details page. However, they will still have to click the title. Unfortunately, we don't offer any functionality allows visitors to expand the search result description within the context of the search results page. We truncate descriptions like many other search engines and use an ellipsis to denote that you might not be seeing all available information within a search result item, which is a pattern similar to Google:

google search result item for water quality

We can take your request under consideration for the future.

0 Kudos