Select to view content in your preferred language

Embedding applications with secured items

Jump to solution
07-25-2023 10:17 AM
SFM_TravisBott
Occasional Contributor III

The issue: a secured layer will not display when viewed through an embedded application on my Hub site.

I have an application whose map contains a secure layer. For that secure layer the URL for the application, as well as that of the map that underpins it, are stored as the viable URLs (background on the process can be found here). 

As configured this application can be embedded in a website and the data will be displayed properly (because it's being viewed through the appropriate embedded URL). This works fine on our organization's website. This does not work, however, on a Hub site. Is there a a workaround to make this viable?

The layer does not display in either the embedded application nor when place as an iFrame. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SFM_TravisBott

@David_McRitchie Thank you for the response. I feel I often don't get responses from Esri folks here anymore!

After further testing the problem appears to be exclusively with using a Web App Builder app. Experience Builder apps and maps made in the new map viewer display a secured item just fine. 

In my use case, for this particular application, it's fine. But many out there (and my organization included) are stuck with Web App Builder apps in certain cases due to the lack of parity in Experience Builder. The lack of full functionality is unfortunate, but I am glad that in this case it's surmountable. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately, I do not know of any workarounds. This is not discussed in the documentation so it is hard to tell if this is a technical limitation or a defect so I would suggest raising this as a support case with your distributor.

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos
SFM_TravisBott

@David_McRitchie Thank you for the response. I feel I often don't get responses from Esri folks here anymore!

After further testing the problem appears to be exclusively with using a Web App Builder app. Experience Builder apps and maps made in the new map viewer display a secured item just fine. 

In my use case, for this particular application, it's fine. But many out there (and my organization included) are stuck with Web App Builder apps in certain cases due to the lack of parity in Experience Builder. The lack of full functionality is unfortunate, but I am glad that in this case it's surmountable. 

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey @SFM_TravisBott glad to hear you found the cause of the behavior. It certainly does sound like a capability difference between applications using v3.x of the JavaScript API and v4.x. In the next few updates we should be seeing more and more functionality from Web AppBuilder appear in Experience Builder. Recently printing was added which has been one of the most used widgets.

Also in the future, if you are struggling to get an answer then please feel free to @mention me!

Have a lovely weekend,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos