Select to view content in your preferred language

email obfuscation?

06-03-2021 06:32 PM
ChuckS
by
New Contributor III

I've always avoided using mailto links in html. When I use mailto links, those email addresses start receiving spam, and over time, more and more spam.

I've used this simple https://www.hcidata.info/obfuscate-email-address.htm technique which uses html. When I try this on an ArcGIS hub, when it's published, the email address is converted to the web site address. Does anyone know why this doesn't work?

It appears that the only way publish an email link is to expose the email address to spam bots, is that correct?

I'm fairly sure that someone may tell me not to worry about it and let spam filters deal with the issue. That's not the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks, Chuck

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Irishgeoff
New Contributor

You can use a email to link tool like veilmail.io to hide email address on website with captcha 

0 Kudos
ChuckS
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for your response. My employer has such strong spam filtering that I don't know if the mailto link is attracting spam or not. Because of this, I think that I'm not going to pursue this issue. In general, I've always thought that it's not a good practice to place mailto links on a web page. 

0 Kudos