Download Issues in Open Data / Hub

08-02-2017 07:35 AM
PatrickKielty
New Contributor III

We have updated to version 2.0 of Open Data (now Hub). Our site mostly uses this Service to populate our Open Data data-sets: GISSUP/GISSUP (MapServer) 

Some of the Services work and the user is able to download. For Example, this layer works fine: Layer: RMSSEG (ID: 10) 

but then another Layer does not: Layer: RMSTRAFFIC (ID: 11) 

The Map Preview on our Open Data page has a error message in the upper left: "An error occurred fetching map data" and when we attempt to download we get "Status: An error occurred. Download failed." Both data-sets are from the same database. I have tried resetting the service, Updating Index, and Reset Dataset and Downloads on ArcGIS Hub admin pages. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
PatrickKielty
New Contributor III

We have tried both HTTP and HTTPS with no success. Still get error messages and users are unable to download. Moved some data to AGOL as a temporary fix, but unfortunately, most of our data sets are too large or users need live data. 

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Patrick,

Have you opened a support ticket on this yet? I think we're going to need their help to diagnose all the potential causes.

0 Kudos
bmanghi
New Contributor III

Was this issue ever resolved?  If so, you could some provide information on how it was resolved?  We're experiencing download errors with our Open Data site (http://gis.yesvirginia.org/).  Intermittently, a data set will download but more often than not, we're getting errors.  We're using a custom domain and hosting our own map services (all of which respond correctly outside of Open Data).

0 Kudos
PatrickKielty
New Contributor III

Hi Beth, 

Esri's thought was that there were too many vertices. They recommend 3 solutions. 1) Generalize the Lines to reduce the number of vertices. 2) Host directly on AGOL and 3) Split up the data into smaller areas. We have decided to upload data to AGOL as a temporary fix (even though it is a large dataset and will consume credits). We are currently working on splitting up the data and creating multiple feature services. In the future, i am hoping AGOL?Open Data  will be able to handle large datasets since our organization has several layers we share that have over 500K records. 

CatherineWendland
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Catherine,

Sorry to hear you've been having download issues with larger datasets. We have had similar reports from other users regarding larger datasets and are currently working on enhancements that will alleviate some of these problems.

That said, as these services are hosted on your own servers, I would recommend also opening up a support case to help triage. There may also be something amiss with the server settings that is causing the downloads to fail.

Best,

Patrick

0 Kudos