Content source for Open Data "About" seems to have changed recently

Jump to solution
09-21-2015 03:55 PM
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

So, on the landing page a given data set presents some text that comes from the item description.  When I click on that data set, the next page appears with "About" in the upper right under the map.  That "About" section used to get its text from the item description, I'm pretty sure.  Now it gets its content from the Open Data Group description, which is a bit non sequitur in context of exploring the data set further.

Has anyone else noticed this as a change?  For the Esri Open Data team, what is the design for where "About" gets its content?

The Improving data quality section here seems to suggest that the item description would be used, but I'm just making that up.

thx,

tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CourtneyClaessens

Hi Tim,

The "About" section is different from the "Description" section. The preview that you see in the search results comes from the Online description, which is what is also presented under "Description" on the dataset details page.

The information under "About" gives info about the group it is in -- this information collapses if you click on the name of the group. Before, we had the information collapsed by default, so the user didn't see anything.

Thank you for your feedback, it will guide a decision to consider moving back to collapsed by default.

Courtney

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CourtneyClaessens

Hi Tim,

The "About" section is different from the "Description" section. The preview that you see in the search results comes from the Online description, which is what is also presented under "Description" on the dataset details page.

The information under "About" gives info about the group it is in -- this information collapses if you click on the name of the group. Before, we had the information collapsed by default, so the user didn't see anything.

Thank you for your feedback, it will guide a decision to consider moving back to collapsed by default.

Courtney

0 Kudos
TimMinter

Hi Courtney,

Good info, thank you.  I've been using our Open Data group description to communicate information about group usage to content contributors.  I'll think about how to provide useful information to Open Data consumers in the Group description and adjust from there.

This made me think a bit more (uh oh)...  I would find it quite useful if the Esri Open Data team could provide a reference Open Data site demonstrating all Open Data capabilities and configured per best practices according to the Open Data design, then link to it from the instructions.  I could use that as an example when configuring our own sites. 

Happy Wednesday,

tim

0 Kudos
CourtneyClaessens

Hi Tim,

Indeed, we would like to consolidate a guide of best practices for creating your ArcGIS Open Data site -- in the mean time, I hope this presentation from the UC helps: ArcGIS Open Data - Best Practices

Thanks for the feedback,

Courtney