Chart doesn't sort date properly

12-11-2019 11:22 AM
LeifJohnson3
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to make a chart that shows the occurrence of certain events over time, but the chart sorts the dates incorrectly.  It's sorting based off of the day digit so since there is a 1 in the number 12 it is going before the 9th.  Any thoughts on how to change this?  I'm using data that's being brought in from a Survey123 form so I was hoping this would be compatible, but it seems like I'm going to have to change the format of the date in order for it to work properly.

Tags (2)
5 Replies
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Leif,

Is your data stored in a text/string field, or in a date field?

Text-speaking, the chart is sorting the items properly by moving from one character to the next, left to right, and putting them in numerical order.

11/12/2019
11/20/2019
11/21/2019
11/24/2019
11/9/2019
12/1/2019
12/2/2019
12/3/2019
12/4/2019

The chart may not recognize this field as a "Date" format, so therefore it will treat it the same way it would treat any other text/string.

Can you create a field with type date, and does it act the same way?

Thanks!

Rachel G

Esri Support Services

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
LeifJohnson3

Thanks for the help Rachel.  It seems to be recognizing it as a date as you can see on the left side it's showing a little calendar next to the field and allowing me to choose "year, month, day, or hour".  I tried it with the "created date" as well and it does the same thing.  I'm not sure if it's just because I'm loading it from Survey123.  I'll try to load it from a different source and see what happens.

This is a completely different feature that I loaded from ArcPro and it seems to be doing the same thing.

0 Kudos
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Thanks for running that test!

I can definitely try to reproduce the issue here. Can you clarify your steps to getting to the chart? Is this on Operations Dashboard, Web AppBuilder, some other client or platform, etc.? Or is this perhaps on a customized page in Hub? The more info you can provide, the better.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Rachel G

Esri Support Services

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
LeifJohnson3

Hey Rachel, thanks for sticking with me.  The feature that I brought in is a simple survey123 form with geolocations, no dashboards or other apps involved.  In ArcGIS Hub I just clicked Layout > Chart and selected the survey as the "Data" to display.  The survey has a date field and that's the field I selected to make the chart from.

0 Kudos
LeifJohnson3

Has there been any progress made on this issue by chance?

0 Kudos