ArcGIS Enterprise Sites and Google Analytics

03-17-2020 06:37 AM
AlfonsoDodero
New Contributor III

Hi ,
in my Company, we are having some issues in monitoring via Google Analytics a web page created with ArcGIS Enterprise Sites.

These were our actions:

• we have created an Enterprise Site

• in the edit section, we have entered the Google Analyics tracking ID for one of our google accounts (img. 1)

•  we have configured our Google Analytics account and its property with the complete site URL
    https://webadaptorhost.domain.it/portal/apps/sites/#/ato
    -> but is not accepted, the error is "the URL must not contain fragment" (img. 2)

• so we try to insert up to fragment and is accepted by the system

-> we check the monitoring of the monitoring of the pages by sending test traffic (img. 3)
        -> the site mangement page opens but not traffic is detected

Since the tracking functionality via Google Analytics would natively exist, we are here to asking how to solve and
what we're doing wrong.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We'll need to look into this. I have bad feelings about it because the URL method we are using (the fragments `#`) was to avoid putting item ID's in the Enterprise Sites URL so they are more durable (i.e. you can make a new site and "flip in" the URL to replace an existing one and users / traffic don't need to update). My guess is Google analytics is very unhappy with the `#` so the feature may need some reconsideration. 

Are you getting no events for any views of your enterprise site?

0 Kudos
AlfonsoDodero
New Contributor III

Hi Graham, thank you for the interest.

Unfortunately google analytics does not detect any views in my enterprise site.

Some ideas to overcome the fragment?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What version of enterprise is this? We should get a case going ASAP. We likely need to issue a fix. I'm going to loop in some folks from our support team

jill_es
Esri Contributor

Agreed - thanks, Graham!  Alfonso, based on the information you provided, I would recommend reaching out to Tech Support to look further into this issue.  I'll be reaching out to you directly regarding this.

0 Kudos
KellyKoenig
Occasional Contributor

Alfonso DoderoGraham HudginsJill Edstrom‌ I came across this thread while trying to add Google Analytics to one of our sites. Did y'all find a solution for this issue, or is there a bug number I can follow to stay updated? Thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide! 

jill_es
Esri Contributor

Hi Kelly Koenig‌, this issue resulted in an enhancement request being logged.  I'll reach out to you directly regarding getting your customer number attached to this enhancement request.

NormWray
New Contributor II

Hi Jill, I came accros this thread when searching for solutions to adding analytics to our site. I also spoke to and ESRI technical rep who said that this request has been logged as Enhancement ENH-000127894. 

However, when I search for this enhancement number, I get no results. Do you happen to know what enhancement this might be?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Hi Norm - ENH-000127894's synopsis is: "Modify the URL structure of Enterprise sites to not include the symbol for a URL fragment identifier."  There can be a lag before it shows up on the Support website but, since your account is attached to it, the defect and it's details should show up for you in MyEsri.

0 Kudos
Arpa_PiemonteGeoportal_Team
Occasional Contributor II

Any news about bug fixing?  Thank you

0 Kudos