Select to view content in your preferred language

Gallery Card for Non-Hub Content

08-06-2024 08:04 AM
Labels (1)
PBBennetch_columbus
Emerging Contributor

I would love to use the Gallery Card, or some other new card like the Gallery, to be able to display a number of external (non-Hub) websites. Currently the card is limited to content exclusively in ArcGIS online, but the feature would be great to summarize a group of websites with short descriptions.

My only alternative is customizing cards and wide cards within the Text Card, but these are static and do not rotate or cycle, which is a user-friendly feature.

Ideally the gallery cards would automatically bring the external website's logo through, as well (or some other image).

3 Comments
AndrewTurner

Thanks for asking this question! We are considering a future option where you can manually add cards via a form. Today though, you can still accomplish this goal!

Our recommendation is that you add Portal Items as Links to each external website. This allows you to configure a title, description, tags, thumbnail, etc. And then you can add these web link items to a Gallery. 

This also has the benefit of being in your search results. So as people search your Hub site, the best result may be that external link item. It's like configuring your own custom web search for your users. 

JenniferBorlick

I tried doing this in AGOL, but it's not working the way I expect it to. 

I add it as a document (because it won't let me proceed without selecting a type) and when I try to open it, instead of opening a link, it tries to open a document in the data viewer window and then I get the frowny face saying it couldn't connect.

AndrewTurner

@JenniferBorlick sorry to hear you're encountering a difficulty. Can you share more details such as the Hub page that we can see or more steps for what you added? That would help us understand if it's specific to the URL link and mime-type sign-in with a particular app, or other considerations.