How long should I let Geostatistical Analyst Wizard run?

03-27-2014 12:30 PM
SarahSchmeer
New Contributor
Good afternoon,

I'm trying to run cokriging with the Geostatistical Analyist Wizard to create a rainfall map of a large area (33,000 ha).  I'm using a point layer with 13 rain gages and a 1 m DEM that I resampled to 100 m to make the file size more manageable. The file size of the 100 m DEM is 207 KB. I started running the Wizard 24 hours ago.  Steps 1 and 2 went quickly (file selection, method selection), but on step 3 (I believe that's the actual calculation of the cokriged layer) the progress bar immediately jumped to 1/4 done and has stayed there since.  I would like to know if this length of time sounds reasonable, or if perhaps the program can't handle my DEM.  After this step I was planning on hitting the "optimize model" button, but who knows how much longer that will take...  Any feedback/experiences would be greatly appreciated so I don't prematurely abort the process.

Thanks,
Sarah
0 Kudos
8 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Sarah

You have 13 rain gauges and a DEM with approx. 180x180 rows and columns, correct?

- It should have finished, you can kill the process
- what version of ArcGIS do you have?
- What operating system are you on?
- 13 is a very small number of gauges! (but I understand that is all you have)
- what type of kriging are you trying to perform?
- what transformation have you selected (if any)?
- does kriging without the DEM work?
- try clearing your cache, viz., close ArcMap, then delete all the files in this location

-Steve
0 Kudos
SarahSchmeer
New Contributor
Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me.  My DEM has 182 x 291 rows and columns. I'm running ArcMap 10.0 on a an old desktop (Don't know what info you need, so here's a bunch: Windows 7, Intel Core with 2.40 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, 64-bit OS).  Within the Geostatistical Analyst Wizard I selected the "kriging/cokriging" option, entered my rain gages for dataset 1, the DEM for dataset 2, and left the other settings on default (ordinary Kriging, output type = prediction, no transformation, no order of trend removal.  Then I clicked "next" and it got stuck.

I killed the process and will empty the cache as you recommended, but would really appreciate some more guidance before trying again!

Thank you so much,
Sarah
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
After clearing the cache try kriging and if that works then try cokriging

BTW, are the points and the raster in the same coordinate system?

-Steve
0 Kudos
SarahSchmeer
New Contributor
Sorry, forgot to mention:  I have run Kriging and it works fine and only take a minute or so.  However, the results are quite unrealistic for this mountainous terrain, so I want to try co-kriging with elevation.  Yes, the point and raster files are in the same coordinate system.

I cannot find the cache of files I'm supposed to delete.  What exactly is the "operating system's temporary file location"?  I looked in the default folder for the Geodatabase, as well as the folder where I actually save everything in my Geodatabase, and I searched my computer for files beginning with ga or ending with .ds and found nothing.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
It'll be a location similar to

C:\Users\xxxxYourNamexxx\AppData\Local\ESRI\Desktop10.0\GeostatisticalAnalyst  (not sure if it is 10.0 or 10 in your case)

If you can't find this then set a Windows System Environment variable called GA_TMP

-Steve
0 Kudos
SarahSchmeer
New Contributor
I couldn't find any such folders, nor any such files hiding anywhere.  I think I created a new Windows System Environment, but I have no idea what a System Environment even is, let alone if I did it correctly.  I went to Computer-->Properties-->Environmental Settings-->Create New, called it GA_TMP and "pointed it to a folder" (a very weak description from the ESRI help page); specifically I chose "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0" because that's the closest I could get to the path you gave me in your previous message.

Now when I select my datasets in the GA Wizard I get a box that says "Error" with a red X and no other explanation. 

Is there any way to do co-kriging with this silly Wizard?  Seems like there should be a tool for it.

Thanks again for you help--I'm just getting frustrated with the perpetual lack of ArcMap information for non-computer programmers.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm sorry that you are having a problem.

First close ArcMap
Please set the GA_TMP variable to a location like c:\temp
Then open ArcMap again

or reboot your computer or email me at slynch@esri.com

-Steve
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
There is a problem with the DEM, it has NoData and �??Not a number�?�. I'm not sure how the NAN values got into the raster.
We�??ll fix the hanging issue that you see in our next release, which will most probably be 10.3.

To fix your issue, do the following:
- RasterToPoint tool
- Then use this feature class in place of the raster
If you really want to use a raster then:
- RasterToPoint
- PointToRaster using the original DEM�??s cell size and extent

-Steve
0 Kudos