GPS or AVL Devices for which connectors exist

11-11-2013 08:32 AM
AlfredoFrauenfelder
New Contributor
Is there a list of GPS and/or AVL devices for which GEP connectors exist or that have already been deployed by organizations?  I am just trying to learn of available devices for which a GEP connector is available or previously successfully deployed to support municipal fleet operations management, particularly in regards to snow removal.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor
There is a pretty wide field of potential with regard to GPS and AVL using GeoEvent Processor. For example, we have developed a connector for the RAP protocol to support SierraWireless devices. We also have supported clients with Zonar Systems and Network Fleet. We've conducted some testing with TomTom WebFleet and our DC Regional office staff has developed a connector for InReach (the Iridium satellite-based service for areas where other types of communication are not available). We've also performed some testing with GPS Insight whose data services can be polled as CSV Text over HTTP - you will need to massage the data from Insight some to get rid of the header row. Finally, we have a connector for the GPS variant of NMEA which some folks have used to turn an iPad / iPhone into a simple asset location monitoring device.

There's not a lot of detailed documentation on integrating these solutions as they're all very new. I would recommend contacting your Esri Sales Representative to discuss the possibilities of working with a technical adviser or getting a quote for support from Esri Professional Services.

Hope this information is helpful -
RJ
0 Kudos
ElisabethLauver
New Contributor
Where can I find the NMEA connector?
I tried the ArcGIS GeoEvent Processor Gallery and didn't see one. The GEP Help document at http://pro.arcgis.com/en/share/geoevent-processor/process-event-data/overview-of-inputs.htm states that the NMEA connector is coming soon.  RJSunderman's 11-12-2013 9:09 AM post says "we have a connector for the GPS variant of NMEA". Is it available somewhere?
Thank you.
0 Kudos
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Elisabeth -

Attached is a preview draft of the NMEA Connector tutorial. This should be uploaded to the GeoEvent Product Gallery shortly. The draft attached below may have some rough spots (copy editing on the document is not yet complete), but the content is all there. Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback on changes needed to the tutorial.

Please note that this draft of the tutorial was prepared for the GeoEvent Processor 10.2.1 product release, which should be publicly available the second week of January 2014. The most significant change you would probably notice is that the Service Designer, the separate application you run to design and publish GeoEvent Services at 10.2.0, was retired. The functionality has been integrated into the GeoEvent Processor Manager at 10.2.1. I mention this so that you are not confused if you go to the GeoEvent Services page in Manager and don't see an 'Add Service' button ... you won't see that until you have the 10.2.1 product release.

- RJ
0 Kudos