Getting features from an external REST endpoint

Jump to solution
04-11-2018 10:11 AM
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

I configured my own input connector for receiving features from a REST endpoint, but the endpoint I'd like to use is NOAA's REST Services Directory, specifically their current warnings layer (Layer: CurrentWarnings (ID: 0) ).  I added the URL property to the "esri-receive-features-rest-in" default connector and used the URL to the current warnings REST endpoint in the URL property of my connector.  Is this the way it's supposed to be done?  My input is running yet has 0 counts.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I thought you had the ability to add the service to your ArcGIS Online/Portal Organization by going to Add Item > Layer from Web, but it doesn't seem GeoEvent is able to access the layer when you poll the service. 

Try adding the connection as a data store:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Konrad,

Take a look at the following post in GeoNET.  There is a very helpful PDF that explains how to set up a Receive Features on a REST endpoint input connector:

esri-receive-features-rest-in 

I believe you may want to use the input Poll an ArcGIS Server For Features.  This will allow you to poll the service for existing an new features.

KonradHughes
New Contributor II

Unfortunately that's one of the first resources I tried.  The method there does not allow me to define my own endpoint URL.  Poll an ArcGIS Server for Features will not work, either, because the data resides outside of my organization (NOAA), which I cannot add as a data store in my Geoevent Server.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

To poll an ArcGIS Server service you do not need to register a data store.  What is your end goal of using this weather service?  Are you looking to get notifications during a certain event?

0 Kudos
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

Unless I'm mistaken, you do need to register an ArcGIS Server in order to use polling. 

Creating the poll input requires an ArcGIS Server connection to be established, and for that connection to be registered.  And you're correct about my end goal.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I thought you had the ability to add the service to your ArcGIS Online/Portal Organization by going to Add Item > Layer from Web, but it doesn't seem GeoEvent is able to access the layer when you poll the service. 

Try adding the connection as a data store:

0 Kudos
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

Thank you!  You ran into the problem I had, despite being able to recreate the service in my AGOL organization, Geoevent would not recognize the feature layer's existence.  And I was also mis-using the URL when trying to register NOAA's server, because I was including /rest/services in the path, so thank you as well.

0 Kudos