Schema changes without having to republish

3 weeks ago
ChristopherRatcliff
Occasional Contributor

We recently had a support call with ESRI to address why some fields in our GeoEvent layer weren't updating. Support explained that for new fields to update from our output, they must be included in the original layer published from GeoEvent.

In our case, we have a flow monitors layer from GeoEvent that updates approximately every 5 minutes. This layer is used in multiple maps/apps with intricate arcade expressions. We wanted to incorporate new fields into our feature layer to process new data from our output. We attempted to add these fields through the Data tab of the hosted layer and ArcGIS Pro, and also tried overwriting the feature layer from Pro and using a field map processor in GeoEvent. However, all these attempts resulted in the new fields not populating with live data, only the original fields from the initial service publication.

After contacting ESRI support, we learned that to have live data in the feature layer reflect our output changes, we need to republish the feature layer from GeoEvent entirely. This means whenever we make schema changes, we have to republish the layer, readjust it in maps, and recreate symbology, popups, and any complex arcade expressions. This poses a significant challenge for us.

Could you please offer some guidance or solutions? Thank you!

Tags (2)
5 Comments
jack_morse_or

I'm also interested in expanding GeoEvent definitions without needing to publish to a new feature service. @ChristopherRatcliff let me know what you find out!

JakeSkinner

@ChristopherRatcliff try the following after adding the new field to the feature service:

• change the GeoEvent output to another service and Save
  • change the GeoEvent output to the original service and Save

GeoEvent should update the new field, however I do see that it will not update the original record(s), but create a new one.  Afterwards, it will update the existing record based on the unique identifier field:

JakeSkinner_0-1712594453424.png

I would recommend deleting all records after adding the new field(s).

ChristopherRatcliff

@JakeSkinner  we have some new live fields we plan on adding to the output some time soon. We'll try this method when we do. I really appreciate the quick response. We'll keep you looped in.

ChristopherRatcliff

That worked, thank you! Is this documented anywhere?

JakeSkinner

@ChristopherRatcliff, no I think this may be a potential bug, or an valid enhancement request.