ArcPad with GeoCollector vs ArcGIS Mobile 10.2.1 with ArcGIS online

04-02-2014 02:29 PM
NicholasCollins
New Contributor
We currently have ArcGIS 10.0 and use python code to check our GPS data In & Out from the field into SDE.  We are upgrading to ArcGIS 10.2.1 and it requires to redo our Python code but I also am comparing GeoCollector/Trimble Positions integration with ArcPad 10.2 and our Trimble GeoXt6000 devices or going with ArcGIS for Windows Mobile with ArcGIS online.  I am not having much success with GeoCollector/Trimble Positions application setup and installation and will more than likely need help from our local rep to finalize it.  I do not know much about ArcGIS Mobile and have some experience with ArcGIS online and would like to know if this is a better way to go?  I am going to create a FGDB instead of check data In and Out of SDE because we realize we do not really need to go through that trouble anymore.  We have 5-10 users that are very basic non-GIS users and need to setup something that works best for them with accuracy levels around 5 ft or less and easy for me manage.  Seems like there are so many options and I thought I would see if I could get some feedback here.  Any and all opinions are welcome please.  Thank you! 

-Nick
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
I have personally used ArcPad several years ago when I was a GIS student and it is definitely good for basic GIS personnel.

ArcGIS Mobile was meant to be used by people with no GIS experience because the out-of-the-box-solution provides a simple and easy to use interface for data collection. Depending on what equipment you are using this will require some hardware setup, for example if you are using a laptop and an external GPS, your employees will need to know how to setup a GPS to work with ArcGIS Mobile.
When I first embarked on my project the hardest thing for me to figure out was the GPS.
The greatest feature of ArcGIS Mobile is that you can code you own extensions to make workflows that meet your business requirements. For example I am using the out-of-the-box-solution but I coded my own data collection functions and I got rid of the ESRI's Data Collection feature.
If you are a programmer and have a lot of time, you can create something really impressive, but it is tough.

I do not have any experience with Collector but I am quite interested in it when it becomes more mature.

Regards,

Akhil P.
0 Kudos