Trimble Positions Thread - Post Here

11-26-2012 06:46 AM
DaveChamberlin
New Contributor II
I wanted to start this thread as a place for questions.  I have been working with Trimble quite a bit to get this figured out.  Mostly on being able to switch from Analyst to Positions.  It seems like Trimble hasn't caught up to ESRI and the service pack yet, so they have workarounds for compatibility.  Lets hear some of your stories with the new software.
0 Kudos
97 Replies
TrentReeder
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

It seems that Trimble Positions Desktop add-in cannot locate a 'new session' after I have ran the synchronize mobile cache gp tool.  After the gp tool has finished, I can see the new collected data along with the new attribute information in the TrimbleSessions feature class.  So, it seems all the data is there, but when checking for new sessions, I get the popup indicating that no new sessions are available.  Any ideas of what might be causing the add-in not to locate the updated sessions?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
ChadFoster
Occasional Contributor
I am having the same problem as TrentR.
0 Kudos
MicheleMattix
New Contributor II
Hello,

It seems that Trimble Positions Desktop add-in cannot locate a 'new session' after I have ran the synchronize mobile cache gp tool.  After the gp tool has finished, I can see the new collected data along with the new attribute information in the TrimbleSessions feature class.  So, it seems all the data is there, but when checking for new sessions, I get the popup indicating that no new sessions are available.  Any ideas of what might be causing the add-in not to locate the updated sessions?  Thanks.

Have you associated the mobile project with the MXD?  After created the mobile project in MPC, you must go back into the MXD and associate the two.  It's on the Project button in the Trimble Positions Admin Window.
0 Kudos
ChadFoster
Occasional Contributor
Have you associated the mobile project with the MXD?  After created the mobile project in MPC, you must go back into the MXD and associate the two.  It's on the Project button in the Trimble Positions Admin Window.

I have associated the Mobile Project with the MXD and then set it as "CURRENT" per the instructions, it is at this point when I open the Desktop Positions Window and use the Handle Sessions button that I get the error message saying that there are no new session are available.
0 Kudos
JeffJudycki
New Contributor
I am having troubles with the differential correction. I keep getting the following error when I attempt to correct
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26547[/ATTACH].

It appears that this could be caused by the base data not being available?? which I am thinking means the station data is available at the end of the day when it has recorded and calculated the discrepancies.

Do I need to be patient or does this need to be looked into?
0 Kudos
JoshEllis
New Contributor
I am having the same problem, arcmap can't find the session. I am using arcmap 10.1 but our server is still on 10.0. Could this be the problem?
0 Kudos
JoshEllis
New Contributor
We are using positions with ArcGIS Mobile and would like to use the attachments feature but it seems that trimble positions disables this feature. Anyone else try this?
0 Kudos
TrentReeder
Occasional Contributor
I have associated the Mobile Project with the MXD and then set it as "CURRENT" per the instructions, it is at this point when I open the Desktop Positions Window and use the Handle Sessions button that I get the error message saying that there are no new session are available.

I have also associated the Mobile Project with the MXD and then set it to "CURRENT".  Basically the exact process that cfoster15 has done with the same results.
0 Kudos
KimHonetschlager
New Contributor
Invalid geometry error

I'm getting an "invalid geometry" error when I check the data in using Trimble Positions Desktop Add-in.  I checked it out using the add-in and I used the same data and same settings on a previous day and didn't get an error.  Points are working, but when I collected a half-dozen arcs with the Add GPS Vertices Continuously tool, all but one had the invalid geometry error. I'm just walking on a sidewalk and picking up my route. I don't see any difference between the arc that has valid geometry and the ones that don't. What does this error mean?

I'm using ArcPad 10.  I've got Trimble Positions ArcPad Extension on a Juno 3D and I'm using ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.1 in the office.  The data are in a personal geodatabases.

Does anyone know of a Trimble Positions tutorial or crib sheet?  The user manual is quite weak.  (Sorry for the cross-posting, but I've received no answers in the ArcPad forum.)

Thanks,
Kim
0 Kudos
AlisonWalker
Occasional Contributor
Invalid geometry error

I'm getting an "invalid geometry" error when I check the data in using Trimble Positions Desktop Add-in.  I checked it out using the add-in and I used the same data and same settings on a previous day and didn't get an error.  Points are working, but when I collected a half-dozen arcs with the Add GPS Vertices Continuously tool, all but one had the invalid geometry error. I'm just walking on a sidewalk and picking up my route. I don't see any difference between the arc that has valid geometry and the ones that don't. What does this error mean?

I'm using ArcPad 10.  I've got Trimble Positions ArcPad Extension on a Juno 3D and I'm using ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.1 in the office.  The data are in a personal geodatabases.

Thanks,
Kim

Hi Kim,

I have a couple users having the exact same issue, and I have not been able to get to the bottom of it.  Maybe we can compare and see if we can find the common thread that might be causing this?

- What is your OS?  I initially thought it had something to do with Positions' trouble running on XP.
- Were you previously running GPS Analyst on that computer?
- Were you running an older version of Positions Desktop at some point?  What version are you running now?
- When you click on one of those Invalid Geometry features, and then click the View Positions button, is there anything in there?  Or is it just blank?
- Is this happening even before you differentially correct?  Or is it only after differential correction?

I would be very interested in any info you can share.

Alison
0 Kudos