Select to view content in your preferred language

the database cannot be opened because it is version 655.

05-17-2011 12:53 AM
ZarehDemirdjian
New Contributor III
Im trying to attach an .mdf file and this is the error i am keep getting:
the database cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server support 612 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

Can someone help to find a solution? because i think it is not possibe to downgrade.

Regards,
Zareh
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GregNichols
New Contributor II
I'm getting the same message when connecting to the downloaded web course database for "Mobile GIS: Creating webmaps for lightweight mobile Apps.".  

"Problem selecting this Geodatbase file.   The dabase 'FLINtermodal' cannot be opened because it is version 655.   This server supports version 612 and earlier.  A downgrade path is not supported."

Is my sqlserver express too old?

Thanks,
Greg
0 Kudos
AlexJohnson
New Contributor II
I've confirmed this is a version mismatch between the SQL Server Express version used to create the mdf and the version it is being attached to.

When trying to attach an mdf file in ArcCatalog, I got the message:

The database cannot be opened because it is version 661. This server supports 655 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

The mdf was created under SQL Server Express 2008 R2, and the database I was trying to attach to was SQL Server Express 2008. Upgrading the 2008 database to 2008 R2 allowed me to attach the mdf.

-Alex
GIS Architect & Environmental Engineer
Principal, Arete Systems
0 Kudos
GregNichols
New Contributor II
I found that SQL Server express 2005 was running on my computer - left over from earlier installs of arcgis.    I went to a server with a fresh arcgis 10 install and installed sql server express off the arcgis  10 desktop media.   This installs SQL server Express R1, and now I can attach to the course database file.

FYI, this installer required windows Installer 4.5 or newer to be running on the sever.   Had to download and install that first.    Also, it seems that in order to attach, the mdf must be on a local drive, not a shared network/UNC path.

FYI:  SQL Server Express R2 is not supported on windows XP.
0 Kudos