Poor GPS Performance in ArcGIS Mobile out-of-the-box

04-04-2012 11:41 AM
DaveMauldin
New Contributor
I noticed extremely slow/delayed (30-40 seconds or more) performance when using ArcGIS Mobile 10 with an active GPS source (Trimble ProXRT with Omnistar real-time correction(GPS+GLONASS)).  I would occupy a collection area and have to wait 30-40 seconds for the GPS position to even begin to move and update on the screen of a Trimble Nomad running Windows Mobile 6.1.  This type of lag is unacceptable for the level of production we need to maintain.  So, I began searching for any instances reported in the forums or otherwise and found the following information regarding ArcGIS Mobile NMEA sentence requirments.

The forum archives have stated that the following NMEA sentences are required for use with ArcGIS Mobile out-of-the-box:

$GPGGA - Global Positioning System Fix Data
$GPGSA - GPS DOP and active satellites
$GPGSV - GPS Satellites in view
$GPRMC - Recommended minimum specific GPS/Transit data
$GPVTG - Track made good and ground speed

However, through testing several configurations/combinations of NMEA sentences, I have found that only $GPGGA, $GPGSA, and $GPRMC are required (at least as far as my organization's purposes are conerned).

By omitting $GPGSV and $GPVTG, I found that the performance lag had disappeared and the GPS position now updated in the mobile project map every second.

As far as I know, this is not an issue using SDK.  Hopefully, a fix can be included with SP 5.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced similar behavior?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffJudycki
New Contributor
I have experienced the same issues and have no luck what so ever with ESRI support. At first they informed that I had to many domain tables, yet after following their advice no performance was gained. I am unfamilar with the location and manor of the NEMA sentences could elaborate on this?
0 Kudos
DarrylSanchez
New Contributor II
Sorry to hear about your poor performance.  That is why I bought a YUMA II tablet PC to communicate faster with the PROXRT and
haven't had any performance issues.

In performing spirit,
DIGGY
0 Kudos