Mobile Cache Sync Error: Output Cache Folder Empty

05-22-2014 06:00 AM
RyanPurdy
Occasional Contributor
When I try to synch my mobile cache back to my mxd file I get a message saying 'Error posting updates for Signs2014xy layer'.  There is also a message that says the output cache folder is empty.  I checked the files I copied over from the handhelds and there is a db file that is there.  I have attached a screenshot of the results window.  I hope there isn't something corrupted on the handheld?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RyanPurdy
Occasional Contributor
When I try to synch my mobile cache back to my mxd file I get a message saying 'Error posting updates for Signs2014xy layer'.  There is also a message that says the output cache folder is empty.  I checked the files I copied over from the handhelds and there is a db file that is there.  I have attached a screenshot of the results window.  I hope there isn't something corrupted on the handheld?

So I was able to open the db file from the handheld into Mobile Project.  It looks like the Global Id is not there?  I checked the attribute table and it is there.  Could that be the problem?
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Maybe the featureclass was modified after the mobilecache was create for the field computers, thus causing a checksum problem for syncing.

I would suggest creating a new featureclass with global IDs and then creating a project and loading it into each of your field computers.

Then try syncing again.

If that works then I do believe that the featureclass was modified.

Otherwise you may need to provide more information about he featureclass and how you loaded the the project onto each computer.
0 Kudos
RyanPurdy
Occasional Contributor
Maybe the featureclass was modified after the mobilecache was create for the field computers, thus causing a checksum problem for syncing.

I would suggest creating a new featureclass with global IDs and then creating a project and loading it into each of your field computers.

Then try syncing again.

If that works then I do believe that the featureclass was modified.

Otherwise you may need to provide more information about he featureclass and how you loaded the the project onto each computer.

Thanks for the feedback Akhil.  I created a newmobile cache from the same feature class  and put a new project onto my handheld.  I added a feature and then synced it back.  There were no problems.  The feature showed up in Arc Map.  If the featureclass was modified do I have any options to get the data off the handheld?
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Thanks for the feedback Akhil.  I created a newmobile cache from the same feature class  and put a new project onto my handheld.  I added a feature and then synced it back.  There were no problems.  The feature showed up in Arc Map.  If the featureclass was modified do I have any options to get the data off the handheld?

That's a good question.
I have read some people were able to modify the checksum value located in the amp file on the field computer and get the data to sync.
I have personally not tried this nor know what the checksum value needs to be changed to in order for you to be able to sync your data.
I would check on the forums or online if anyone else had this issue and solved it.

There are 2 general rules I tell everyone in my office.
1. Do not touch my mxds, unless following specific procedures and never save the mxd once using it.
2. Do not touch the structure or abilities of a featureclass using for ArcGIS Mobile because it will cause my app to not sync anymore. Once again I do have procedures that allows my co-workers to modify the data within my featureclasses but nothing to add or remove fields or change from an un-registered featureclass to a registered feature class and etc.

Sorry I couldn't be of much else help to you.
Working with the MXDs and FeatureClasses for the use of ArcGIS Mobile is very particular, if you touch it, you will likely break the sync component.
0 Kudos
RyanPurdy
Occasional Contributor
That's a good question.
I have read some people were able to modify the checksum value located in the amp file on the field computer and get the data to sync.
I have personally not tried this nor know what the checksum value needs to be changed to in order for you to be able to sync your data.
I would check on the forums or online if anyone else had this issue and solved it.

There are 2 general rules I tell everyone in my office.
1. Do not touch my mxds, unless following specific procedures and never save the mxd once using it.
2. Do not touch the structure or abilities of a featureclass using for ArcGIS Mobile because it will cause my app to not sync anymore. Once again I do have procedures that allows my co-workers to modify the data within my featureclasses but nothing to add or remove fields or change from an un-registered featureclass to a registered feature class and etc.

Sorry I couldn't be of much else help to you.
Working with the MXDs and FeatureClasses for the use of ArcGIS Mobile is very particular, if you touch it, you will likely break the sync component.

That's ok.  Thanks for your help.  I am pretty sure the featureclass wasn't changed.  It looks like the only difference is that I am missing the globalid field on the handheld which is odd because it is in the attribute table.  I guess my next option is to try the mobile cache to shapefile utility to see if I can extract the data.
0 Kudos
RyanPurdy
Occasional Contributor
That's ok.  Thanks for your help.  I am pretty sure the featureclass wasn't changed.  It looks like the only difference is that I am missing the globalid field on the handheld which is odd because it is in the attribute table.  I guess my next option is to try the mobile cache to shapefile utility to see if I can extract the data.

So I thought I would post a followup.  I couldn't get the mobile cache to shapefile utility to work so I opened up the mobile.db file using sqlite.  I found that any new features being added would generate a negative number for the object ID.  The global ID is in fact in the table.  I tried converting the negative numbers to postive ones but I still get the same result.
0 Kudos
RyanPurdy
Occasional Contributor

Just as an FYI to anyone viewing the thread I opened a ticket with ESRI.  There hasn't been a resolution but they are using the mobile cache to shapefile utility to recover the records.
0 Kudos