How do I load my ArcGIS Server Cached map service onto my device

05-18-2011 09:44 AM
CaseyBentz
Occasional Contributor II
I have been searching and searching and have found no mention of how to load my tiled map service cache onto my device.  I will be working in remote areas and therefore, will not be connected to my or any ArcGIS Server.  I will have to preload the tiled map service cache onto my Juno SC.  Has anyone accomplished this?  If so, please provide some guidance.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
CaseyBentz
Occasional Contributor II
I finally figured it out.  I made a cached service of a very small area.  I then took the layers folder and copied it to the ArcGIS Mobile Folder on my Juno SC.  I then connect to a mobile project that I created using project manager and posted to our internal ArcGIS Server.  In the device I download the project from my server, and viola the cached map is visible.
0 Kudos
ChristopherOlsen
Occasional Contributor III
This is the correct way to add a cached basemap to your projects.  In fact you copy the cache to the root of the Mobile projects folder, and that way they can be used by multiple projects on the device.

The idea is documented and discussed here.

-Chris
0 Kudos
ChrisWheldon
New Contributor
Hi Chris

Further to this thread, I am having problems viewing my cached basemap on my Juno SC also. I can view my mobile project in windows mobile desktop OK so I know I have configured the project OK using the MPC. I have followed the advice of your link above and what Casey has found works, but cannot for the life of me view my basemap on the Juno and have run out of ideas. Operational layers are fine.

I have copied the Layers folder for my basemap cache from the web server and dumped it into JunoSC>SD-MMCcard>My Documents>ArcGIS Mobile> where my mobile project folder sits as per the webhelp, downloaded the project from the server but still no joy. I also tried the exploded cache format but no joy. Exploding the cache at least proved to me that there were tiles in it.

Any help greatly received and appreciated. It has taken me a while to get to this point and it's one small thing I am missing and then it's cracked.

Regards

Chris W
0 Kudos
AnthonyFarndon
Occasional Contributor
I ran into a similar issue, and resorted to explicitly stating the cache in the project file which worked for me

Open up the project .amp file in notepad, find the xml entry for the basemap cache near to the bottom, e.g.

<TileCacheMapLayer name="MYBasemap" cacheDirectory="MyBasemap" visible="True" />

Edit the cacheDirectory with the full path, e.g.

<TileCacheMapLayer name="MYBasemap" cacheDirectory="\My Documents\ArcGIS Mobile\MyBasemap" visible="True" />
0 Kudos
ChrisWheldon
New Contributor
Hi Tony

Will try that one out soon. Thanks for the tip. Utilising the .amp on the device seems to work OK and I am managing to suck both the base and operational layers through. That's great as a starter. I really wish to store the .wmpk files on my web server and am having problems utilising cached basemap map services on the Juno SC. The .wmpk shows the raster basemap in \\mobile\content\projects etc but the Juno SC won't suck it through. The operational layers are all there and the basemap name is there in the layer visibility menu; but alas, no visible basemap on the screen. I have no more hair to pull out. So, I have resorted to exporting the map service layer cache using an extent FC to a local drive and copying this onto the Juno SC. This process seems to work OK too.

I may stick with this latter system for now as I would like to utilise my current basemap map service caches with the Juno SC. No point in making new map services and caches for mobile projects. Will probably run a geoproc service to extract a local tiled cache based on an area of interest and copy this over to the Juno SC for the work.

Thanks for your help nonetheless.

Chris W
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
@Chris

I am also having troubles displaying basemap layers (tilecache) in the WPF mobile app.
I have created both a raster mxd, made a tile schema with some scales and then generated the tiles. But the the mobile app is unable to show the raster image on the map.

I have also tried a vector mxd where I created a tile schema with some scales and generated some tiles. But in the Mobile Project Center, when I try to add the basemap layers, MPC sometime crashes. Sometime the basemap layers are added to MPC but when I load the project in ArcGIS Mobile, I don't see anything it is just a blank screen.

Do you mind posting in as much detail possible how you are able to load your basemaps from mxd creation to deploying the cache to the mobile device?

Thanks,

Akhil P.
0 Kudos
ChristopherOlsen
Occasional Contributor III
Akhil- I would recommend calling into Technical Support on this one if you can't get it working.  We'll be able to dive in a take a look at the settings.
0 Kudos
ScottBailey
New Contributor II
AkhilP - did you ever get this fixed.I'm having the same problem.
0 Kudos
MartinCopping
Esri Contributor
Please refer to this document for more details on working with a Tile Cache in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile (ArcGIS Mobile): https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6019990_8385742_86560
Martin Copping
Product Manager, ArcGIS Online - Dashboards
0 Kudos