Field data collection

01-30-2015 08:47 AM
AndrewPett
New Contributor II

Is there an inexpensive workflow /app for collecting field data without using ArcGis online or ArcPad. Just a simple way to collect points lines and polygons without any background map or complicated interface. Ideally on my windows 8 device. The end product would be uploaded to a desktop running ArcGIS 9

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MaximilianGlas
Esri Contributor

It is not clear what you wanna do and why you are looking for another workflow, but I could tell you that there is also ArcGIS for Windows Mobile/Tablet. It should run on Windows 8 Desktop/Mobile and it has tools to sync with an ArcGIS Desktop Client, so you do not need any Service for synchronization. ArcGIS for Windows Mobile was releases first time for ArcGIS 9.2 and was called ArcGIS Mobile in earlier times.

0 Kudos
AndrewPett
New Contributor II

Thank you for the information, i'll look into it

0 Kudos
FinbarGillen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Andrew, I have the same problem. Don't think ArcGIS is what we are looking for as it only allows you to view your content on your ArcGIS online account. Did you get anything else?

0 Kudos
AndrewPett
New Contributor II

Nothing else yet. ArcPAD seems the only other option.

0 Kudos
MaximilianGlas
Esri Contributor

Finbar, that is not correct. ArcGIS for Windows Mobile does not need any ArcGIS Online account.

By the way: What is the problem with ArcGIS Online? Maybe your opinion of pricing? Than have a look here: Plans | ArcGIS for Developers

0 Kudos
AndrewPett
New Contributor II

No not pricing, more an issue with corporate security.

MaximilianGlas
Esri Contributor

I see. You are from europe?

0 Kudos
AndrewPett
New Contributor II

Interesting - especially the Desktop workflow.

I'm from Canada.

0 Kudos
FinbarGillen
Occasional Contributor

Maximilian, I downloaded it there for a Windows 8 tablet and it only seems to be showing maps that are on my ArcGIS Online account. If you know where I can download an app that allows for GPS field collection now, I'd be more than happy. By the way I think ArcGIS Online is a great tool

0 Kudos