Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS for Windows Mobile takes low quality pictures.

05-02-2013 01:55 AM
VishApte
Esri Contributor
Hi,

I have a customer who is using ArcGIS for Windows Mobile to perform survey of assets. The part of the survey workflow is to take photos(s) of the asset while collecting/editing.

The HP tablet client is using is running Windows 8 and is capable of taking high resolution photos. However, default camera used by the mobile app creates very low resolution images (< 16kb) and is very grainy. This is not acceptable to the client. I cannot find any way to change the settings of camera in terms of resolution etc. Does anyone know where this should be adjusted? Taking the picture outside of the mobile app and then attach it is not acceptable workflow to the client. Surveyors tend to attach wrong photos. 

Thanks,
Vish
0 Kudos
14 Replies
WilliamSands
Deactivated User
I'm getting some serious backlash from clients who use three Trimble Yuma 2 devices running Windows 7 and are mighty sick of:
1. Having to open separate software to take photos and;
2. Having to then spend many minutes finding that picture they have JUST taken.

With no ability to sort by date modified, and the sole method  of display showing file names that are not in sequential order eg. IMG1.jpg, IMG10.jpg,IMG11.jpg, IMG12.jpg etc, it makes the system slow and cumbersome to add photos. Yes, of course they could add some more steps to rename the pictures they have just taken so they can then find them relatively easily but I think you can see the frustration here...

1. open another piece of software

2. take the photo using that

3. Open Windows explorer, find the photo by sorting by date modified, and rename the file to something unique.

4. switch back to AGM 10.1.1

5. use the add attachment button

6. browse to equivalent "C:\Users\<userid>\Documents\Play Touch Camera"

7. work out which photo it was

8. and then attach it to the record

It really is pretty poor task allocation by ESRI to have not fixed this by now. We've spent AU$80k on going with ArcGIS Mobile and are being delayed by this small bug.
0 Kudos
DustinEdge
Deactivated User
Hi there

AGM 10.1.2 allows the users to specify the resolution of the photo now.

Cheers
0 Kudos
OlegSeliverstov1
Deactivated User
Hi there

AGM 10.1.2 allows the users to specify the resolution of the photo now.

Cheers

Hello! We still can not change resolution in Windows Mobile 6.5 OS. Could you please confirm that feature existing in the newest version 10.2? Thank you!
0 Kudos
DustinEdge
Deactivated User
Hi Oleg

I should have specified that the resolution option was on a full Windows tablet. I'm not sure about Windows Mobile devices

Sorry.
0 Kudos
OlegSeliverstov1
Deactivated User
Hi Dustin! Thank you for clarification.

// We had to abandon the use of Win-8 tablets due to the slow keyboard and issue with rendering of tiled basemaps.
0 Kudos