state palne coordinate

07-22-2013 02:52 PM
MahbubAlam
New Contributor
Does ESRI maps for Office take state plane coordinates as location type?  Or, do you have trasfer that data to lat/long?  If so, what's the easiest methods to do that?
Thanks,
Mahbub
0 Kudos
4 Replies
EricBowman
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Mahbub,

Yes, it supports state plane coordinates - here's the link to the help on the location types - http://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-office/help/location-types.htm.  You will need to select Web Mercator for those coordinates.

Hope this helps.
Eric
0 Kudos
MahbubAlam
New Contributor
Eric,
Thanks for the reply.  I tried with "web mercator" with those coordinates (from lat long location type choosing web mercator coordinate system) but the map did not show any points although the info column on the right said 26 locations found successful. Just to check, I manually transformed some of the WA state plane coordinate north to lat long and added to the map.  It worked.  So I dont think there is anything wrong with the data.  Do you have any other suggestions?
Also, the link you provided goes to a webpage and soon refreshes to a "page not found" and report a problem page.  Whenever I tried to write something (report problem) in that page, it refreshes again and dont allow me write anything.  It's happening for the last couple of days.
Thanks,
Mahbub
0 Kudos
EricBowman
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Mahbub,

Can you attach your file? I'm thinking that there may be an issue with how the data is created, e.g. a shapefile that is assigned to Washington Stateplane, but really isn't that coordinate system. Also, can you include the lat/long as well?

Eric
0 Kudos
MahbubAlam
New Contributor
Hello,
I am attaching two files.  One is the main file containing all the data (sorry it didnot upload due to size).  The seocnd one is a cut and paste of some data where I transformed state plane coordinate to lat long manually.
As you can see ESRI plugin does not recognize the state plane data.  Please let me what you find.
Thanks for your help.
Mahbub
0 Kudos