Select to view content in your preferred language

Sharepoint Webpart requires authentication every time the page loads

2 weeks ago
SteveCarr
New Contributor

Hello, we have successfully loaded an ArcGIS webpart on our Test Sharepoint page, however every time I close and reopen the page I have to log into the ArcGIS webpart, is there anyway to make this stay logged in? or have we set it up incorrectly?

I Understand when you start your computer and go to a web browser open up the sharepoint page you have to log into here...then the first time you look at the map and it's associated layers you need to do this, but surely it is smart enough to keep us logged in...

We have SSO setup correctly and we also have the latest webpart App ArcGIS for Sharepoint installed with 2024.2.2.1888

If you have any ideas or tips please let me know...

Speak soon, and thank you in advance for any help...I'm no GIS guru or even Sharepoint but if you need any clarification call out!

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

@SteveCarr 

Thanks for posting your question on Esri Community. 

When you see the ArcGIS sign in prompt, please check the box next to "Keep me signed in". Hopefully this should help. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any further questions.

Snag_27c8b1.png

Thanks & Regards,

Raaj

0 Kudos
Samuel_McAuley
Occasional Contributor

Hi @RaajRaaj Steve and I are working on this problem together. In our situation, all of our staff Portal accounts are authenticated through our Azure AD, meaning when we are presented with the sign in popup, there is no 'Stay signed in' option. I just tested your suggestion using a built-in admin account and, lo and behold, it worked. Do you know if there is a way to configure this for our authentication scheme using the AD rather than built-in accounts?

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

@Samuel_McAuley --

Thanks for posting your question on Esri Community. I came across the below post on the "ArcGIS Enterprise" community page. 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/single-sing-on-experience-with-ent...

Please let me know if this helps?

Thanks & Regards,

Raaj

0 Kudos
Samuel_McAuley
Occasional Contributor

@RaajRaaj This looks somewhat related but unfortunately I do not believe this solves our specific problem with the SharePoint web part - thanks for the link. It sounds as though adding to the App Launcher only solves half of the original issue in that thread and the issue it does solve is not something we are experiencing. Specifically the problem we have is that users are being asked to sign in to ArcGIS Enterprise each time they visit the SharePoint page with the web part embedded in it and try to view the map. This is despite the fact that if I visit our Enterprise Portal I remain signed in between sessions. I am drawing blanks on everythign I can see online.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hello @Samuel_McAuley --

Does the map contain any private layers? The only time it would prompt the user to sign in is when the map has private layers and the user has to be authenticated before they can view the map layer.

Also, could you please list the steps so that I can try to reproduce it on my end?

Thanks & Regards,

Raaj

0 Kudos
Samuel_McAuley
Occasional Contributor

@RaajRaaj 

The map contains layers that are not shared publicly, however they are shared at the organisation level internally. But yes, our staff definitely need to sign in to authenticate however the issue is being asked to sign in every time.

I did not install the web part personally, however the version we are working with is 2024.2.2.188

The steps are:

- I created a web map in our ArcGIS Enterprise (v11.1) Portal

- the layers in the map are shared org-wide but not publicly, hence requiring a login

- our users who need to access the web map in SharePoint all have accounts that are authenticated through our AD using org-specific logins

- I created a test page on SharePoint and embedded the ArcGIS web part, signing into our Enterprise Portal when configuring the web part using my admin account (linked to our AD) as well as a built-in admin account (standalone Portal account) to see if it made any difference (it didn't)

- I chose the above-mentioned web map for display in this web part and saved the SharePoint page

- I then visited the new SharePoint page, but none of my layers displayed, only a generic basemap (to be expected)

- I signed in to the Portal through the web part using my AD-linked admin account

- the layers then displayed once I had authenticated

- I then closed that tab and opened a new one, navigated back to the SharePoint page and I once again was required to sign in to view the layers

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hello @Samuel_McAuley --

Thanks for sharing the details. One last question, do you see the same behavior when you sign in to the ArcGIS portal directly (without going through the SharePoint "ArcGIS" web part)?

0 Kudos
Samuel_McAuley
Occasional Contributor

Hi @RaajRaaj , yes we do. I am almost always signed into our enterprise Portal and rarely have to re-sign in. Despite this, I am still required to sign in through the web part. 

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hello @Samuel_McAuley --

When you sign in to Portal (directly), close the tab, open a new tab and navigate to your ArcGIS portal, does it ask you to sign in again? I want to see if this is an ArcGIS portal specific issue or something that's related to the map web part in SharePoint.

Thanks & Regards,

Raaj 

0 Kudos