SDK Instructions

11-01-2012 02:09 AM
DeanGross
New Contributor
Where can i find info on setting up a development environment to use the code that is available from the Interactive SDK? i don't see this info on the Intactive SDK site.
TIA
Dean
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Dean,

The samples shown in the Interactive SDK are built on the ArcGIS Extensibility SDK for Silverlight and the ArcGIS API for Silverlight. If you would like to begin programming and using the code samples, you will need to set up

Begin at our ArcGIS for SharePoint community page on the Resource Center. From there, under Concepts, see the Extending the ArcGIS Map Web Part.

For your development environment, you will need:

Once you install the ArcGIS Extensibility SDK for Silverlight you will see a template under ESRI Viewer. Since the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 1.0.1 and ArcGIS for SharePoint 2.1.1 were both built on the ArcGIS Extensibility SDK 2.4, you can use the VIewer template to develop tools (commands) and behaviors for the ArcGIS Map Web Part. We're working on updating our documentation to explain this process.

Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
DeanGross
New Contributor
Thanks, Do i need to do this type of work on a machine that has SharePoint?

Also, I have Visual Studio 2012, are there any issues associated with using this instead of 2010?
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Dean,

What kind of setup do you have now? Is your SharePoint site managed by your IT department? Are you wanting to develop add-ins for the Map Web Part for your own organization or are you developing to deploy/provide customizations for your customers? Essentially, you would need access to the ArcGIS Mapping Administration options in the Site Settings so that you could upload the add-ins. You might need your SharePoint admin to create separate site for you to use for development. The alternative is to install SharePoint yourself, but that isn't recommended unless you have to. Installing and setting up SharePoint is no easy task, and usually requires the Microsoft Server 2008 R2 OS, but in a pinch there is a version that can be installed on Windows 7. Let me know your current situation and I'll try to provide a few links to pertinent SharePoint info if you need them.

Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
GarrettMoeller
New Contributor III
Would like to know about his question pertaining to Visual Studio 2012
Having a real tough time finding Visual Studio 2010.

Are there any known issues with using Visual Studio 2012?
0 Kudos