NOAA layers

09-04-2013 06:00 AM
NathanWright
New Contributor
Hello,

I have been testing out the ArcGIS module for sharepoint and so far I like it.

I have an issue:

I want to show NOAA layers (Watches and Update) pertaining to tropical storms and hurricanes on my SharePoint map. Typically (Desktop version) I would go to the NOAA site and get the .kmz/.shp file, load that into the geoDB and render it. With this SharePoint instance I am not sure how to quickly add layers and have them show up in the table of contents to be displayed at will by the user. Ideally, I would like to have the webpart go to the NOAA site and get the updated weather file every 4 hours so the users can see updated weather.

Questions:
Where does the SP instance of ArcGIS pull data from to display it on the webpart (GeoDB, the ESRI site, etc)?
How do I add outside .kmz/.shp to be displayed (i.e. NOAA Tropical Strom Watch)?
What is the best way to pull that updated weather file into the webpart?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi,

Esri Maps for SharePoint works with data from two main sources: 1) SharePoint lists on your existing SharePoint site and Feature Services or Web Maps from ArcGIS Online. There is also now an option to add data contained in an external SQL Server database, but Esri Maps for SharePoint does not have direct support for adding kmz/shp files. Your best bet would be to create a web map in ArcGIS Online and then add that to Esri Maps for SharePoint.

Hope that helps,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
NathanWright
New Contributor
Thank you for the advice, is the ArGIS online a free tool? Could I make the same map in ArcExplorer?
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Nathan,

ArcGIS Online is Esri's cloud-based platform that enables creation and sharing of maps and apps (see What is ArcGIS Online?). It's not free, but you can get a 30-day trial to see if it can do what you like. http://www.arcgis.com/features/

Hope that helps,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos