How to specify a custom location type?

Jump to solution
10-29-2013 06:24 AM
ThomasBohnert1
New Contributor II
Hi there,
how can I specify a custom location type based on my own feature services with Esri Maps for SharePoint?
It's one of the new features of the version 3.0.1 that was just released. But so far, I couldn't find a hint of how to configure it in the documentation.

Looking forward to your comments.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasBohnert1
New Contributor II
Hello Jared,

many thanks for the hint. Following the steps you described in the reply I could set up my own location type. And after I shared the underlying feature service to public I could finally use it to join my SharePoint list with some polygon data and visualize it on the Map Web Part.

Thanks again and Regards
Thomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JaredGrondin
New Contributor III
Hey there,

In order to specify a custom location type you need to follow the directions outlined here (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/sharepoint/concepts/index.html#/Adding_lists_containing_address_...).

While the screen shots don't include an image of step 5, there is now an additional option on the page titled "How is location represented in your data?"  Here you will choose "Add location type".  Next, you will search ArcGIS Online for the hosted feature service representing your location type.  Once located, you will select the feature service and choose the layer in the feature service that you will use to look up locations.  Now, you will choose the column in the feature service layer that contains attributes used to look up locations.  Finally, you will give this location type a Name and description and add it to the location types available for use in the Esri Maps Locate work flow.

From here you will proceed as outlined in the documentation above.

Good luck with your project,

Jared
0 Kudos
ThomasBohnert1
New Contributor II
Hello Jared,

many thanks for the hint. Following the steps you described in the reply I could set up my own location type. And after I shared the underlying feature service to public I could finally use it to join my SharePoint list with some polygon data and visualize it on the Map Web Part.

Thanks again and Regards
Thomas
0 Kudos