How to add Latitude Longitude location type so that it can be used with Cognos data

12-23-2013 05:47 AM
MuthukumarRV
New Contributor
Hi,

We have IBM Cognos 10.2.1 with FP1, ESRI Maps 5.01 updated for FP1.
We have map feature set in our local network and we are able to use them successfully.

When I add IBM Cognos data, I am able to search for location types based on my organization's registered feature services.
However, I could not do anything or do not know how to create something so that the "Latitude Longitude" location type is available for mapping IBM Cognos point location data.

We have a GIS team here to help us in all aspects, but not sure how to specify this requirement to them.
Please advise what to do.

Thanks
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Aadvan_den_Berg
New Contributor
Hi Cognosuser,

I don't know if this is a solution for you but this is how I managed to plot IBM Cognos X/Y data on a map in Esrimaps 5.0

Our setup:
* Esrimaps 5.0
* DWH containing addresses with an address-id and X, Y info.
* ArcGIS Online

As far as I could see, the X/Y datapoint layer that was available in Esrimaps 4.x is not there anymore. I'm therefore assuming that you have to have a maplayer containing all your addresses. Through that maplayer you'll then be able to join your IBM Cognos location (X/Y) data.

My steps:
1) I made a CSV export of the addresses from IBM Cognos (about 120.000) containing a address-id, X and Y column.
2) I imported the CSV into ArcMap and I created a X/Y layer from the imported table
3) I exported the layer (with all 240.000 addresses) to a shapefile
4) I zipped the shapefiles into a zip file, uploaded it to ArcGIS Online and called the layer "Addresses-XY"

After these steps you can add IBM Cognos data in Esrimaps mapstudio. When asked for the maplayer, search for the created "Addresses-XY" layer. Add the layer as a location. After that you can join your Cognos addressquery using the address-id.

Hope this helps!

Greets,
0 Kudos
PierreSeguin
New Contributor
Thanks Aad!

Cognos_user1, you can also add X/Y data directly from the DWH without the need to export. If your X/Y data is available as attributes in a Cognos package you can add them to your map by preparing a Query in Report Studio with the X/Y data as data items. Once you have the query configured, you can simply add them to the map in Esri Maps Configuration. Once you open Esri Maps Configuration, add the X/Y layer by choosing Add Data->From IBM Cognos-> Choose the IBM Cognos Query you prepared -> Select Latitude/Longitude as your location type. Then you can choose which fields from the IBM Cognos query represent your X/Y data.

For your GIS folks: Currently WGS84 and Web Mercator spatial references are supported for X/Y layers in Esri Maps for IBM Cognos, so it will have to be imported into the data warehouse in one of those formats.
0 Kudos
JanneSaarikko
New Contributor
Hi all,

We have a situation with one of our EM4C 5.0.1 customers. They have an external data upload into Cognos environment which includes coordinate values. These X and Y values are delivered to customer in ETRS-TM35FIN projected coordinate system when the EM4C can use only WGS84 or Web Mercator values to place the points on the map. Therefore we need to get the values in one of these two coordinate systems.

What do you think would be the easiest way to build a process where we could get e.g. WGS84 values for these points as well?

I know we could make this manually by exporting data to other Esri software, get the X/Ys in wgs84 and import those back into Cognos DW. Would it be possible to build a script that uses for example the AGOL Geometry Service/ or a transformation formula of some sort to automatically populate the required LAT/LON fields in Congos data? Have you come across with a similar situation?

Thanks,
Janne
0 Kudos