Geotagging\Geo Searching and List Size

12-05-2023 05:03 PM
ZorbaConlen1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi. I'm wondering about limits on number of items in a list for geotagging and geo searching. Is there a maximum number of list items supported? Is there a likelihood of performance degradation with larger lists. 

The list of interest is approaching 5k and would be expected to grow larger, over time. 

On a similar note, are there documented or practical limits on the size of documents that can be geotagged or searched?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

@ZorbaConlen1 

Thanks for posting your question on Esri Community.

Correct me if I am wrong, am assuming you are trying to geotag documents to a SharePoint list layer added to the ArcGIS web part in SharePoint, right?

As far as geotagging goes, there's no limitation that we have encountered or observed in the Microsoft documentation. But we are aware of a SharePoint limitation on Geosearch or native SharePoint search. If you are viewing the search results in a "list" view, and if the search returns more than 5000 items, SharePoint online runs into a throttling error (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/troubleshoot/lists-and-libraries/items-exceeds-list-vie...). We also had a customer report an issue on this related topic and they have built a custom web part which can communicate with the ArcGIS web part. Please refer to the below blog,

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-for-sharepoint-blog/using-dynamic-data-extensibility-feature-to...

You can build a custom web part which will show the results of the "Geosearch" operation and thus avoid the native SharePoint limitation on the search results displayed.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards,

Raaj

ZorbaConlen1

Hi Raaj. I'm not that familiar with arcgis for sharepoint, so not sure exactly what a list layer is. Basically, we have a document library that we'd like to geotag to several layers. I guess I was assuming we could add layers from map services, either enterprise services or hosted ones for geotagging purposes. Is that possible?

Yes, I'm aware of the 5k limit that impacts some capabilities with sharepoint. I dont think it's likely we would have searches that need to return that many results, so not an issue for our use. 

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hello @ZorbaConlen1 --

Are you trying to geotag documents using the ArcGIS for SharePoint app? Since you have posted the question in the ArcGIS for SharePoint community that's why I assumed you were using the ArcGIS for SharePoint app for geotagging, correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks & Regards,

Raaj

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hello @ZorbaConlen1 --

I'd be glad to schedule a meeting to walk you through the features of ArcGIS for SharePoint and also share some suggestions for geotagging documents using the ArcGIS for SharePoint app if you are interested in learning more about the app. I can also provide some suggestions on how you can accomplish the geotagging workflow with documents stored in document libraries.

Thanks & Regards,

Raaj

ZorbaConlen1

Yes, I'm assessing the arcgis for sharepoint app as an upgrade to our current custom application. A meeting would be great. Thanks for the offer. I'll be on vacation for a bit starting tomorrow, but maybe can find a time after that. Cheers.

0 Kudos
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hello @ZorbaConlen1 --

That's great. Can you send me a note on EC when you are back from your vacation and I can set something up. I will be on vacation from Dec 18th-22nd (just an FYI).

Enjoy your time off.

Thanks & Regards,

Raaj